Home

"Avery. It's time to wake up." The nurse said shaking me awake.

I flinched away from her touch and curled into a ball. Shaking heavily from the nightmare that just occurred in my head.

"What's wrong Avery? Are you scared? Did you have a bad dream?" She asked, Patting my back softly.

I nodded my head, crying lightly like I always do when he hits me.

She sat on the bed, making it screech while I flinched again, "sorry. I should've lost some weight last time." She said smiling softly.

With one hand wrapped around me. She gently pulled me up into a sitting position, hugging me tightly while I sobbed into her chest. I don't know why people are being so kind to me....

After a few minutes of reassuring me that nothing would happen, she gently pulled me away from her chest and looked me in the eye.

Before I could even begin to apologise  for my childish behaviour, she spoke in a calm voice. "Don't even try apologising, you didn't do anything wrong. It's normal for kids to have nightmares you know? Maybe try telling me about it, it might make you feel better." She said, resting her arms around my neck.

I wiped my eyes with my sleeves before answering her. "Um... c-can we talk about it la-later? I'm sorry f-for causing so much trouble." I said sniffing.

She looked at me. Smiling. "of course you can! You can tell me whenever you're ready. She said ruffling my hair before getting up."Hey, speaking of nightmares. Did you try the lollipop that I gave you?"

"Um... n-no. Not yet. Sorry if I upset you." I said with a frown, taking the lollipop out of my pocket and setting it on the table.

"Aw. You can never upset me with a lollipop Avery. It's really nice, you should try it if you want. Don't worry, no one's forcing you." The nurse said as her hands started fidgeting in her pockets.

"Here you go. Another lollipop, I don't know why I'm carrying so many of them, but you can have it. Don't worry." She said laughing a little as I smiled brightly at the lollipop in her hands.

"Thank you." I said trying not to sound excited, putting the two lollipops back in my pocket and wiping away the remaining tears from my red eyes.

"You're welcome Avery. You definitely deserved it after all you've been through." The nurse said. Giving me the comforting smile.

"Can I.. ask you something?" I whispered softly. Hoping that the nurse would let me, "ask away." She said,giving me that kind smile again.

"H-how are my brothers like?" I asked, Genuinely curious about them.

"Well... I wouldn't know how your brothers are like, I've never met them myself." She said pulling out what seems like a phone from her pocket. " but I do have a picture of them though, officer oz sent it to me in case you were curious about your family." She said showing me a picture with 6 people on it.

"These are your brothers, they took this picture about 2 years ago in front on your mansion." She said pointing at the picture on the phone.

They looked happy enough without me, maybe they didn't want me after all. Maybe they'll be like him and hurt me for entertainment. "Why is my house so big?" I asked her, trying to block the thoughts about my brothers.

"A house that big is called a mansion, and you'll see later why your family owns a mansion. You won't have to fear a single thing anymore Avery. You're back home, with your family. And nothing is ever going to hurt you ever again." She said. Finally finished talking.

With all the new people and things to process, I just sat on the bed and dreamed about them.

What if they actually cared about me? I don't know. But I hope not. No one deserves me in their lives, I'm just a disappointment to them.

I gave out a little sniff but quickly turned around to avoid eye contact with the nurse.

Maybe life will be different from now on. They look kind. And strong, and that was 2 years ago! I wonder how they would look like now? Hmmmmm, that'll remain a mystery until I get to see them.

I smiled softly, lying down on the bed. Thinking happy thoughts to distract me from the bad ones.

I feel tired, should I sleep with the nurse still in the room? I can trust her now. I have a feeling she's a good person.

I thought, finally closing my eyes.