chapter 38

The night went in a wink and the new day began. And I was still stuck in this dreadful mansion. I didn't get any chance to sneak out of here. At this rate i won't be able to get out of this place ever.

"M'lady" there was a knock on the door and again the butler came in without my permission. Behind the butler there was another person in the maids uniform. Emily, the maid that used to serve Penelope in the game. Serving her might be the wrong word, Emily used to torment and hurt Penelope.

"This child is going to serve you from now on. Her name is Emily" Emily came forward and bowed. She raised her head and her eyes met with mine. A small smirk danced on her lips and her eyes stared at mine mockingly.

A low groan escaped my mouth, another trouble. My urge to burn this whole mansion down is increasing and I can feel my patience running out.

"And the Duke requested your presence in his office" I nodded and stood up to leave with to the office. I wasn't in a mood to argue with anyone at the moment.

Pennel walked ahead of me, leading me to the office. Although his actions were rude, very rude but I did say anything. Finally we arrived at the office. Pennel left as the Duke told him to.

The office was a big room with walls painted in dark blue shade. There was a table in front of the window where the Duke sat and couches and a table in centre was placed on one side of the room.

"Take a seat, Penelope." He motioned her the sit on the couch as he placed his pen down and stood up. I placed myself on the couch and the Duke sat infront of me on the opposite couch.

"Why did you call me here?"

"I...." He paused as if he was thinking about what to say "About the incident that happened last night during dinner"
I tried my best to hold back the scoff. Of course what else did I expect from him.

"You want to scold me about it? Go ahead" I said with a small smirk as i placed both my hands on my knees. The Duke's face wrinkled at my words.

"It's not that Penelope!" Duke touched his forehead and let out a sigh. "Try to understand, what you did was absolutely unacceptable. The head maid was so frightened that she is suffering from a high fever"

"Ya and so? She got what she deserved" There was no change in my reaction, I looked coldly towards the Duke. His eyes showed how frustrated he was by my words.

"Is this why you have called me here?" All I wanted at that moment was you get out of that freaking office.

"A letter came from the royal family" he signed with a defeated look "tomorrow is the second prince's birthday banquet and the empress wants to see you. I don't know how she knew that you returned" Duke averted his eye as his eyebrows knitted into a frown.

My eyes widened at his words. Royal banquet! This would be a great chance for me to escape. As soon as I will get out of this house, i can use my mana.

"I see, then I will have to attend the banquet."
I was excited for the banquet but an unknown feeling was eating my guts. Maybe it was because of one of the love interests, the crown prince Callisto Regulus.

Penelope was killed by him most of the time in the game. I have to be careful about it, very careful.

"Then if there is nothing else to say, i will be taking my leave" the Duke just nodded and i stood up and left the room. I closed the door behind me and sighed.

I really wanted to go and flop down on the bed and sleep. I looked at the empty corridor on the Duchy, there was no servents there, which was quite a good thing for me. I started walking to the room.

"Penelope?" I turned back sharply at the sound. My eyes met with the cold blue ones. My eyes went on the small circle above his head, it showed 4%. It was nerve-wrecking not to know what was that thing. Was it related to the game?

"Why are you here? Outside father's office?" I forced a small smile on my face and placed my left hand on my chest as a form of greeting.

"The Duke had something to talk with me, it wasn't anything important to concern you, young master. I shall take my leave now" the small circle above his head began to shine and the number changed to 5%.

Derrick said nothing, he just nodded and turned away.

•••

It was noon and Emily bought lunch to the room. She placed the food on the table. Luckily the food wasn't rotten or anything but i shouldn't let my guard down.

"Your name's Emily, right?" She nodded. "Come here" she obliged and came closer to me.

"Yes m'lady"
"Hand it to me" i raised my hand, motioning her to hand me something. Emily was visible confused by my gesture.

I remember that in the game, Emily used to prick the young Penelope with needles on her arm, where no one can see it. I wonder what kind of pain did the young Penelope felt when the needle pierced her delicate skin.

"You don't remember? Hand me the needle Emily. Didn't you like to prick me with the needle?" She seemed visibly shooked by my words. A smirk appeared on my face as I watched her tremble a bit.

"Ha, why are you hesitating? Just hand it to me" my eye contact with her didn't break. She handed me the needle with trembling hands. I grabbed it from her hand and stabbed it in my hand twice.
It was painful yet tolerable for me but i couldn't imagine how a young child suffered from this.

Emily shrieked as she saw me. Tears filled in her eyes as her body trembled and she fell on her knees in front. There were two blue spots on my hand where I stabbed myself with the needle.

"Don't cry, Emily. After all it was you who used to do this to me." My eyes remained cold as my lips curved into a smile. I held her chin and lifted her face up.
"These bruises might increase to five or six and soon people will start noticing it. What kind of maid hurts her lady. And imagine what the Duke will do after he sees this"

"I...i am sorry m'lady! Ple... please forgive me!" Her face turned pale and she started crying.
"I don't need your apologies. Your life depends on how you will act in the future."

Her eyes lit up and she quickly nodded her head.

•••

I covered myself with the blanket. Finally the day was over but the bad feeling won't leave my chest. I am desperate to leave this place, i feel like I will lose myself if I stayed here for a long time. It's like i am fighting a battle to survive everyday and honestly i am tired of it. Agriche was much better than th-

My heart skipped a beat as the image of Dion and Roxanne came to my mind. Honestly I lived in my own delusions and believed that my presence has some influence on them but I guess it was all in vain

I wanted to forget them but in my mind, their images keep on appearing, the time i spent with them, our bonding, everything.

I could feel my eyes heat up and tears fill in them. I grabbed the pillow and hugged it tightly. I miss Fernis and the dragon too, their comforting presence. A part of me was desperately to return back to the mansion and talk with Dion and Roxanne. But another part of me was mad at myself for being to weak. They would just find my reaction pathetic and weak. Hell, Dion would love my crying face, he would find it entertaining.

I sat up and gently slapped my face.
Don't think like that Penelope! Tomorrow you are going to escape and you got your uncle! You're not alone! You're not weak!

I just hope that everything goes according to the plan tomorrow.

To be continued ~

I know it's late but Happy New year everyone!!!