chapter 35

The sun was beating down on them by the time they teleported their picnic place, which was near a beautiful pond. The only reprieve from the heat was the slight shadows cast by the willow tree we sat under. The grass around us was pale green, speckled with short, white wildflowers that a few cream-colored butterflies fitted between. It was serene, a stark contrast to the gardens of the Agriche mansion.

Sandwiches, desserts, pastries and other food items were placed on the fluffy blanket.

"Eat up, kiddo. I know you didn't eat anything" Khalid smiled as he handed Penelope a glass of orange juice.

Both of them started eating. They began talking about random things, making jokes and laughing at it. They couldn't remember when it was the last time that they felt relaxed and stress-free like this.

After all the food was gone and the conversation slowed, Penelope asked if they could walk around the pond, which Khalid immediately agreed too.

Khalid followed as Penelope wandered down to the edge of the pond. The pond itself was large. Water lilies dotted the clear water, small fishes dodging through the stones lying on the pond bed. It was truly a beautiful sight.

"Do you remember that once when you were learning how to teleport, you teleported in the sky and directly fell into the lake near the tower" Khalid said teasingly. Penelope's face grew red when she remembered what happened that day.

"You were drenched and when you saw a frog in front of you. The way you reacted was- pfft" he started laughing before he could even complete his sentence.

"It was my first time trying to learn how to teleport!" Penelope shouted in embarrassment. 

"And yo-" she quickly turned to face him but her heel dug into the soft soil at the end of the pond. The sudden stop sent her tumbling right towards the pond but before she could fall into the pond, Khalid held her wrist and pulled her back, resulting in him falling into the pond.

"Are you okay?" He asked as he sat up looking at her through his wet strands. After she made sure that he was fine, she kneeled on the shore.

"Right now you were making fun of me and now look at you, all drenched" she smirked as she reached out her hand. He laughed at her comment as he stepped on the grass.

He shooked his hair and slicked them back.
"Hey! You're getting water all over me" she giggled and covered her face with her hands.

Khalid stopped in his track and made an unreadable face. He looked down at his wet clothes and then looked at Penelope's clean and more importantly dry clothes. He narrowed his eyes and slowly started moving toward her, as if getting ready to pounce as her in any second. Penelope started moving back as she saw the wicked glint in his eyes
'don't tell me...'

"Uncle, don't you dare" she said as she started moving back cautiously. She bit back her smile.

"Now now, kiddo. I am a person who gets jealous very easily. And right now I am so very jealous of you clean and dry clothes, when mine is wet and dirty. So isn't it only fair for you to be in the same situation as me, hmm." He said, smiling.

Penelope snapped, she turned and made a mad dash towards the willow trees. Despite her head start, he caught up with her and half-jokingly grabbed her.

Penelope's leg tripped and she held Khalid's arm, making both of them fall on the soft grass. They looked at each other and burst out laughing. Khalid propped himself against the tree.

Penelope sat beside him, still dry. She plucked some grass and sprinkled it on him, sticking on his damped clothes and hair. Khalid scowled but didn't say anything. He flicked his fingers and TA-DA his clothes were now perfectly dried and clean.