Chapter 3: Emerald

Opening Sequence,
The Emerald City of Oz is shown in the background.

Flashback: In Oz, a guarded carriage carrying Prince Edward, is halted by a roadblock. Edward notices a fallen tree is blocking the golden break road, and that it was cut on purpose. The carriage is ambushed by a hooded runaway princess, who takes Edward's bag of valuables, including a magic bean. Edward pursues and knocks the mysterious thief off their horse. He discovers it is the runaway princess, Dorothy Gale. Before he can get an answer as to why she stole his bag, Dorothy hits him with a boot, surprising and cutting him to make her escape. Edward vows that he will find her.
Later, Edward tracks Dorothy to Emerald city market, Dorothy reluctantly agrees to show Edward where she sold his gold and jewels. Along the way, Edward discovers a wanted poster of the runaway Dorothy in her bag. Dorothy claims that her wicked step mother, Zelena blames her for killing Zelena's lover. Edward asks if this is true and she admits it is not true. As they reach the golden break road, Dorothy once again tricks Edward and escapes again, only to be captured moments later by the Wicked Witch's flying monkeys. Their orders are to bring her to the wicked witch of the west. Edward attacks the flying monkeys with his sword, killing two. One flying monkey gets away with Dorothy, and Edward quickly dispatches the monkey with an arrow. Now that he has saved Dorothy, she decides to trust him, and agrees to lead him to the place where she sold the items. They reach the dilapidated lighthouse where Dorothy sold Edward's goods to a group of goblins. When she asks the goblins if she can buy back the magic bean, the goblins become suspicious and discover the wanted poster of Dorothy, leading to a fight. Dorothy comes to Edwards's rescue by using pixie dust to turn the goblins into gold coins. Edward is surprised that Dorothy saved him, but she wants to repay him for saving her life. As she hands him back the items, including the magic bean, Dorothy looks at the bean, then she hand it back to him as they go their separate ways. End of flashback

Present day StoryBrooke, During a night out with Walsh Townsend, Hope Ash tries to make a little conversation with him; however, he is busy ogling Roni, prompting Hope Ash to leave the cafe by herself. As she walks back to her house, she notices Renee Gale in her car reading a newspaper and searching for a place to stay. Hope Ash offers Renee a spare room at her house. The following day, Hope Ash notices Grace looking at the comatose John Doe while they are setting up decorations at the hospital. Grace believes that John Doe is Prince Edward and Hope Ash is Dorothy Gale. Grace asks her to read to Edward from the storybook, convinced that it will wake him up. Renee persuades Hope Ash to go along with Grace's wishes so that they can prove the stories aren't real. At the hospital, Hope Ash reads the stories to the patient, until his hand grabs hers, shocking Hope. She tells Dr.Rogers, who is really Capt.Hook,  that Edward might be waking up, but the doctor does not believe her. After she leaves, Dr.Rogers calls Zelena, as he had been instructed to do should there be a change in John Doe's status, revealing that he had been lying to Hope.

The next day, Renee, Grace and Hope stop by the hospital to see him, only to discover that the patient has left on his own and might be bleeding. Zelena and Sheriff Darkbloom, have also shown up, since Zelena is the emergency contact for John Doe. She claims that she had found him on the side of the road unconscious without any memory of what or who he was. As Zelena takes Grace home, Renee, Hope, and the sheriff decide to investigate what happened and visit the security room. They encounter the janitor James, who is really prince charming, and the security guard Karen, who was sleeping on the job. Renee and the others discover that John Doe went out into the woods.

As Renee, Hope, and Darkbloom search the wooded area for John Doe, they are joined by Grace. Grace believes that the patient is looking for Hope. They soon discover the patient lying near the lighthouse seen in the flashback, and Hope revives him. As they take him back to the hospital, Zelena shows up with a woman named Lisa, who is really Glinda, and states that she is his wife and that the patient's name is Elias Beckman. This devastates Hope, as she had begun to develop feelings for the patient. Renee becomes suspicious of Zelena's ability to find Beckman's wife and questions why Lisa never bothered to search for him before. Although Zelena claims that past hospital surveillance tapes had Elias mentioning Lisa's name in his sleep, Renee still believes that Zelena is lying. Later that evening, Renee arrives at Hope's place and agrees to take up the offer of staying with the teacher.