Chapter Five: Girls Like Her

Rodrick stayed up the whole night, his thoughts consuming him. His thoughts were mainly about Y/N but some were about Ben too. For example, why was he so angry with Ben? Ben didn't do anything wrong except try to be Y/N's friend. He thought back to the times when Y/N and Ben got close to each other at the mall. He felt so angry and partly sad. It could've been him showing her around the mall and making all those jokes with her. He looked up at his ceiling and sighed, remembering Y/N's delicate fingertips brushing against his skin. He shook his head. She was trying to be nice, he reminded himself. She has no interest you. No like that anyway...
His heart fluttered when a thought crossed his mind. How would you feel if she did like you like that? He pictured holding her hand, talking to her without getting all awkward, staying up late to text her. That would be the perfect life. His eyes bulged at what he had let himself think. He sat upright as the truth fell upon him. He liked Y/N. He liked her. That's what made him so upset when her and Ben got too close. He was jealous because he liked her. A smile crept onto his face as he thought of her. Y/N, so kind and gentle, so beautiful and so smart. She was perfect in every way. She didn't make him feel stupid. She wasn't mean to him. She liked his band. She liked his taste in music. Oh, this was perfect. He felt his smile falter. He laid back in bed and stared at the ceiling. But would a girl like that ever like him? No. Girls like Y/N don't like guys like Rodrick.