Chapter One: Tutor

When Rodrick woke up for his first day of school, he was ecstatic. The look on Greg's face was hilarious. He seated himself at the table across from his brother, fighting down his laughter. A week ago, Rodrick had changed Greg's clock and convinced him he was late for school. And what's even more funny is that his parents didn't believe Greg. Not only that, but he also shoved his armpits in Greg's face— armpits that he hasn't washed in days.
Rodrick scarfed down his eggs and leapt from the table. "Thanks for the eggs, Mom." He was about to leave when his mother touched his shoulder. He spun around to face her, tilting his head downward to look at her.
"Listen, Rodrick, your dad and I want the best for you this year," she began. Rodrick tuned out the rest of what she was saying. He didn't have time to hear about his "bad grades" and other crap. He didn't give a shit about his grades. All he truly cared about was Löded Diper. He knew they were going to make it big one day.
"We've assigned you a tutor and—"
"Wait." His attention fell onto his mother and he gave her an incredulous look. "What?"
"We've assigned you a tutor who will come over practically every day after to school and help you study," she explained.
"Mom, I can't have a tutor!" he protested. "Do you know what people will think of me?"
"Rodrick, honey, listen, this tutor is—"
"A complete dork. I don't want a tutor, they'll just get in the way," he said about to turn around once more.
"I'm sure Y/N won't "humiliate" you," said his mom.
"Y/N's my tutor?" he asked. His mom nodded. He relaxed at this. At least it was Y/N and not some loser that he didn't know. Y/N was Greg and Manny's babysitter who came over regularly. She was cool and easygoing so at least Rodrick knew things wouldn't be so awkward.
"Also, she's coming over today so could you please give her a ride?" asked his mother as she walked over to Greg who was complaining about Manny pissing in front of him while he ate breakfast.
Rodrick nodded but then remembered that Löded Diper was coming over to his place so they could practice. He knew Y/N wouldn't mind since she was pretty open-minded about all sorts of genres of music. He was more concerned about the band. How would they react? Would they think she was cool? Would they be weird around her? There was only one way to find out...

When Rodrick made it to his school's main locker area, his eyes immediately found Y/N.
He rushed towards her and leaned against the locker beside hers. "Hey, dork," he said.
She turned to him and smiled. "Hey, doofus." She reached for her books for first period. Rodrick hadn't touched his locker ever since he started high school. What was he supposed to do with it? Get his textbooks?
"Hey, man, you're in the way," said a guy almost as tall as Rodrick. He faces him to notice he was Jeremy Spencer from the basketball team. "That's my locker."
Rodrick leapt away from the dude's locker and stepped closer to Y/N.
"So," he said as she closed her locker, books in her hands. "Mom said I have to pick you up since you're like my tutor now. You don't mind the band being over too, right?"
Y/N shook her head and the two of them made their way down the corridor. "I could use some live music in my life."
"Good, because you'll have to get used to Löded Diper playing live. We'll be big soon, I know it," he said.
"And I'll be your number one fan," she smiled to him. He mirrored her grin. "Well, see you after school. Don't forget to pay attention. And write some notes so I can help you after school."
And with that, she walked into her advanced math class, leaving Rodrick standing in the hall. Pay attention? He scoffed. As if.

The day went by pretty quickly for Rodrick considering he spent most of his time skipping class in the washroom and using his pencil as a drum stick on his desk which later cracked in half.
When the bell rang, he was already waiting in his van for Y/N. If she didn't care about school so much, they would've been out of this shithole already.
"Ready for practice, dude?" asked his guitarist, Ben, who came out of nowhere. He leaned on Rodrick's van, sticking his head in the rolled down window.
"Yeah," Rodrick replied shakily, still recovering from Ben's jumpscare. "But you won't be able to ride in the van."
"Why not?" Ben asked.
"I'm having Y/N L/N in here and I don't want her to get weirded out or anything," he replied.
"Why's Y/N going to be in your van?" Ben asked, furrowing his brows. His mouth fell open agape and he gasped girlishly. "Dude, is she your girlfriend?"
"No!" Rodrick practically yelled. "She- she babysits my little brothers and my mom talks to her a lot so I don't want her telling mom that I hang out with douchebags or anything."
Ben nodded. "Oh okay, makes sense. I mean, I wouldn't want my mom to see how we act either."
Rodrick's eyes flew to the school doors where Y/N emerged from. Suddenly, Rodrick's playlist went to the song Right Here In My Arms by HIM. He watched as Y/N walked towards his van, saying hi to passers by as she went. He tried to ignore the lovesick lyrics coming from the song that was playing.
"She looks hot," Ben said suddenly, his eyes on Y/N. Rodrick turned to him and smacked the back of his head. "Hey! What was that for?"
"She would literally kill you if she heard that," Rodrick hissed. "She thinks it's offensive or something when guys call girls hot."
"Pfft, weirdo," Ben said, shaking his head. "Anyway, I'll meet you at your place." Ben gave Rodrick a mischievous smirk. "Don't have fun without me."
And with that, Ben left and Y/N made it to the van. She climbed into the passenger's seat and tried her hardest to disguise the disgust on her face when she saw the interior of the van.
"If you think this is bad, you should see my room," Rodrick laughed. Y/N smiles at him and buckled her seat belt. Rodrick's good mood faltered and he faced the road. That was stupid. Why'd you say that?
As if reading his thoughts, Y/N tried to diffuse the tension. "Hey, I love this song." She turned up the volume and hummed the lyrics.
Out of the corner of his eye, Rodrick glimpsed Y/N bobbing her head to the beat of the music and smiled to himself. What a dork.