Chp 2: Reflection

-Shelley-

Walking side by side, I ask him what he does for a living. He looked at me surprisingly. "I was not expecting to be asked that." I am a lawyer, actually. He said this as he watched me steadily from the corner of his eye,anticipating my reaction.

"What kind of lawyer?" I inquire.

"A corporate lawyer."

What do they do, if I may ask?

I provide legal support to large companies and organizations.

Do you love it?

Love what?

"Your job."

What is there not to love? he asked.

"I wouldn’t know, since I am not a lawyer," I remarked with a hint of sarcasm.

He stood for a while, facing me. Yes, I do, but sometimes not so much. What about you? he asked.

Maybe, or maybe not. I'm still deciding. With his eyebrow lifted up, he drew closer. so close that I could barely breathe.

"You meant to say you are still deciding whether you love or hate your job?"

"Well yes."

"With this, you normally know."

"Well, I don't," I replied, staring at him.

We were jolted back to our surroundings when we heard the mate shout out the destination his vehicle was going to. It looks like we have to part ways here.

As I was boarding the vehicle, I heard him cross my shoulder.

Can I get your number? You know, so we can finish our conversation.

No, you cannot.

"Why not?" I really want to talk to you again, since I do not know where you live or have your number. I wouldn’t be able to communicate with you.

As the vehicle roars to life. I shouted through the window. At least you know where I work. leaving him standing alone, staring at the vehicle as it went.

Once at home, I knock off my shoes and change into my home attire as I make my way to the kitchen to cook supper. “What should I prepare, jollof or waakye?” The waakye is definitely going to take a long time to prepare, and I am so tired from work. I guess I will go with the jollof for today. There will be plenty of days for Waakye.

With my pan on fire, I start with my tomato sauce for the jollof. Once the sauce is done, I add my rinsed rice, vegetables, and macaroni. I gave it a good stir before adding a few drops of water. I cover the rice with kitchen foil and allow the food to steam through. It needs to cook for 20 minutes as I check and stir. intermittently until the rice is cooked through. With my set timer going off at 20 minutes, I turn the heat off and serve myself the cooked jollof, which is paired with a boiled egg and shito. Now that it's ready, let's eat.

"So tasty."

***

It's been one week since I crossed paths with an Adam. Not that I'm keeping track of the days, but he just won't leave my thoughts. Still no sign of him after two weeks. In the end, I chose to disregard our rancour. I am carrying on with my work as normal. It was the last stop on yet another shift, so I began to put my belongings away.

“Miss Dickson.”

Yes, Doctor.

"Can I get your phone number before you go?"

"Excuse me!"

You are my nurse, aren’t you, and yet I do not have your number? When something comes up and I cannot make it to the clinic, there is a need to reach out to you and give you a heads up. That's why I need your number.

Are you sure that is the only reason you need it, sir?

"What do you mean, Miss Dickson? What other reason is there? Must I remind you that I am a married man and I do love my wife very much?"

"No, sir, I did not mean it that way. Never mind! Here it is. Enjoy your weekend, sir."I hurried out the door before he uttered a word.

Gazing after her, he says, "I cannot believe he made me do this." He owns me big time.