Chp 1 : The Encounter

-Shelley-

At 12:45 on a Saturday afternoon, I find myself, as per usual, cooped up in my room, alone and bored.

I scroll through my Instagram pages. "Man, I'm bored." Looking through my purse, I come across a substantial amount of cash I can go shopping with. "Which mall should I go to?" I thought. "Melcom or Shoprite?" "Melcom it is," throwing my cardigan on and grabbing my handbag.... I close the door behind me.

There's nothing more annoying than being stuck in traffic on the way to the mall. I can feel the growing anticipation in my stomach since this is my first time visiting the biggest Melcom shopping mall in the country.

They couldn't think of any less busy place to place it than Spintex. A lot of people have been gushing about the place. I finally got to see it.

I got out of the car and made my way through the huge door covering the entrance of the mall.

"Wow! What a place!" I pace through each segment of each floor as I take in the beautiful display of items. From kitchen utensils to furniture's to decor and all kinds of groceries. The place is huge and, dare I say, amazing. It was crowded with all kinds of people.

I cautiously approached the kitchen section, where I remembered I needed some glasses. From among the many varieties of glassware, my particular fascination lies with the champagne glasses.

I was so engrossed in the assortment of champagne glasses that I failed to see the dashing gentleman who had casually positioned himself next to me.

"They are beautiful, aren't they? Tell me! Which one do you think I should go for?"

Turning in the direction where the voice was heard, stood the most handsome man I have ever laid eyes on.

He wore a fitted gray shirt that revealed his abs; he is tall, in his thirties, and has dark brown eyes.He looked great with white sneakers and blue denim, I have to admit. Everything that man touches turns into something luscious and alluring.

Brought back from my inner thought, I replied, "Were you speaking to me, sir?"

"Umm! Yes, of course."

Sorry, but I think I saw the clerk somewhere here. Should I get them for you?

"There will be no need for that. I was only asking for your opinion, he says."
"A friend of mine is getting married next weekend, and I need to get them a gift. I have no idea what to get them."

"Bride or groom?"

Actually, both.

At my cousin's wedding, I gave the happy couple a set of glasses, so I can't say for sure what your friends might prefer. Instead of worrying about buying specific gifts, they can use it to serve their guests.

"That is a great idea. I will get two of these."

He extended his hand and said, "Ben Adam's." As I accept his hand, our eyes meet. I swear, I couldn't look away. As if bewitched by those dreamy eyes, don't let me get started with the mouth as he curved it to a half smile. It was like meeting Boris Kodjoe in person. So dreamy.

Clearing his throat, he said, Do I get to know your name?

"Shelly Dickson," I replied.

"What a beautiful name for such a beautiful lady!" Blushing, I let go of his hand.

"Thank you for the compliment." Knowing full well that I have other places to explore, I bid him goodbye and move on.

Two hours later, I decided to head home and make my way to the cashier to purchase my items. After paying for them, I make my way to the roadside with the hope of getting a cab home.

Suddenly, a Navy green Range Rover with licence plate GR1190-23 makes its way beside me with the window of the passenger seat rowed down, exposing Mr. Adam's face.

"Hello there." Hop in and let me drop you off at the station. With my nana's statement ringing in the back of my mind, I was not accepting a ride from a stranger. I respectfully decline his offer and thank him for his generosity. He bid me good night and drove off. Getting home late, I decided to take in some beverages and head to bed.

***

The alarm went off at the crack of dawn, and I got ready for work in no time. Having packed my lunch, I got dressed and headed to the station to catch the bus to work. I get ready for the day's work by changing into my scrubs and making my way to the consulting room.

Upon entering the consulting room, I gather all of the necessary items for the examination, including my cards, and patiently wait for the arrival of Dr. Blackson, the physician specialist.

At 8:30 a.m., we started with the consultation. I called the first patient. followed by the next, then the next. At 12:45 p.m., Dr. Blackson called me by my name.

"Miss Dickson". Yes, Doctor, Can you call me this patient, as he handed me the card. As I went out to call the patient with the card held up, I noticed the name on the card, which read Mr. Ben Adam's. I was caught in my throat. It couldn't possibly be him, right? I asked myself.

I called out his name as I looked in anticipation to see who that name belonged to. Standing in the midst of the patient is the same man I met at the mall. "How is it possible to meet one person twice in a row?"

I looked on as he walked towards me. "You called," he said. "Yes, I did, Mr. Dickson." Sorry! I meant Mr. Adam's. Amused, he smiles. "Please do come in." I watch on as the two gentlemen exchange a friendly greeting.

Throughout the consultation with Mr. Adam's, I was so uncomfortable. As to the reason why, I do not know.

At the end of the consultation, I gave him his card. Our hands slightly brushed each other as we stared at one another briefly.

I hope Dr. Blackson did not catch on to what happened. I wouldn't want to explain myself.

At the end of my shift. I changed, grabbed my things, and headed out the door.

"I'm glad you chose to use this path," he said. She turn around, and there he is.

"Are you stalking me, Mr. Adam's?" Surprised by my question, he replied. I am sorry you feel that way. I have no intention to stalk you. I was just waiting here to have a word with you. As for coming in today, it was just a routine checkup I do anytime I visit here.

Feeling guilty for accusing him of such an act. I apologised, but he refused, saying he would only forgive me if I accepted his request to drop me off at the station. I told him the station wasn't far, and I could walk. He offered to walk with me, which I agreed to as a means of peace.