9.

Tired
WARNING: This chapter contains bullying, suggestive and direct dialogue about suicide.

*A Few Days Later*

I walked through my mother's front door. I decided to visit her since I haven't seen her in a while. I heard music coming from the kitchen and assumed that's where she was.

"Yazmin!" my mother immediately smiled in excitement when she saw me. She placed the knife she was cutting vegetables with down, and came over to hug me.

"How have you been baby? I haven't heard from you in a while." my mother stated, pulling me into a hug.

"I'm okay. And yea, sorry. I've just been busy." I expressed. When my mother pulled away from the hug, she stared at me for a moment. "So who is she?" she smiled. "What? Who?" I questioned, noticing Taj walk into the kitchen.

"You're glowing. So, who is she?" my mother wondered, smiling a little.

"Her ex." Taj coughed.

I immediately slapped him upside his head. "What ex?" my mother asked, mugging the idea. Needless to say, my mother hasn't liked any of the women I've dated. Well...except for one. Keniya.

She absolutely loved Keniya.

"Keni-" Taj started to answer but I covered his mouth. "How about you mind your fucking business." I told him.

"Um, how am I supposed to do that when you're telling me your business?" Taj words were muffled as my hand was still over his mouth. "Well, I didn't give you permission to tell mom." I stated.

"Excuse me? I'm right here." my mother spoke. "Not like that mom. It's just, sometimes you get overly excited about things." I explained.

"Yazmin." she crossed her arms.

"Okay fine. If I tell you, you have to promise not to get overly excited." I proposed. My mother nodded in agreement. "Okay I'm...back in communication with Keniya." I stated.

"My Keniya?" my mother smiled largely. "She's my Keniya, but yes." I nodded.

"Oh. Okay." my mother shrugged, walking back over to finish cutting her vegetables. Taj and I stared at her silently because we knew it was only a matter of time...

"Yazmin. Honey, maybe you should invite her over for dinner someday. I mean, that's only if you want to." my mother shrugged.

"Keniya's very beautiful. Very nice spirit. Such a well rounded child. Her mother raised her right. I love her for you." my mother continued. "So, are you gonna invite her over for dinner?" she then asked.

"Uh, no." I shook my head.

"Why not?" my mother frowned. "Cause, we're not even dating. It's unnecessary and awkward." I expressed. "No, it's not." my mother nearly gasped.

My mother continued talking about the matter until I finally told her I was tired. I left out the kitchen and went to my old bedroom.

A sigh left my mouth as I plopped down on the bed.

I unlocked my phone and went to text Keniya but was interrupted by Joi texting me. Her message immediately caught my attention, making me open it quickly.