Chapter 22

November had ended with ease, as the next task didn't take place till the 24th of February.

At the start of December the Yule Ball was announced, and the Slytherin students found themselves grouped with the Gryffindors as Snape had downright refused to teach us to dance.

McGonagall walks in-between the aisle that the benches on either side of the room created, girls on one side, the boys on the other.

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since it's inception. On Christmas Eve night we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally, because the Yule Ball is first and foremost...a dance."

McGonagall doesn't look to happy at this piece of information. The girls all start to giggle and whisper and the boys groan. Pansy squeals beside me. McGonagall waves her hands. "Silence."

"The Houses of Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin have commanded the respect of the the Wizarding World for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons"

"Now, to dance is to let the body breathe." She turns to the girls "inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers, longing to burst forth and take flight."

Ron whispers something to Seamus Finnigan and they both start laughing. McGonagall gives them a look and turns to the boys, continuing.

"Inside every boy, a lordly lion, prepared to prance. Mr Weasley, will you join me, please?"

She pulls Ron up and bring him to the center of the room.

"Now, place your right hand on my waist" she says simply

"Where?!" He says, dumbfounded

"My waist."

Someone wolf-whistles, and everyone silently laughs at Ron. I look across the room to see Draco smirking. He is so gonna remind Ron this ever happened.

"Now, bend your arm. Mr Filch, if you please."

Filch starts the music and she begins to move around the room with Ron to the steps "One, two, three, One, Two, Three.."

She let's go of Ron and calls out "Everybody, come together!"

The girls stand up and the boys groan, reluctantly getting to their feet. I'm standing awkwardly on my own, watching as Pansy dances with Blaise, my eyes moving to Astoria, who's giggling as Theodore Nott places his hands on her waist. Just then I'm tapped on the shoulder.

I turn around and Draco is standing with his arm out. "Would the lady care for a Dance?" He says in the poshest accent I've ever heard in my life.

I purse my lips, trying to not to laugh. I take his hand. "She would love to" I say in an equally as posh accent.

He grins and pulls me into the center of the room, placing one hand on my waist and linking our fingers with the other. I put my hand on his shoulder and we start to ballroom dance to the steps McGonagall taught us.

The next day, I sit with Harry, Ron and Hermione at the Gryffindor Table, doing work for Snape. Ron looks around the hall.

"This is mad. at this rate, we'll be the only ones in our year without dates." Ron complains. Snape walks by and smacks him on the head, makinng him look back at his work. I hide my smile.

"Ow!" he rubs the back of his head, then smirks at Harry "well, us and Neville"

Harry smirks back "but then again, he can take himself."

"It might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone" I butt in.

Ginny, Hermione and I decided to do some weekly catch up sessions since we've been getting close.

Ginny told me how Neville had asked her and she accepted, knowing if she said no, she wouldn't be able to go because she's a Third-Year, but Harry and Ron didn't need to know that...

Ron groans. Fred throws a piece of paper at him. He opens it and I read it over his shoulder. 'Get a move on or all the good ones will have gone'.

I roll my eyes and Ron throws the paper back, whispering "who're you going with, then?"

Fred crumples up the piece of paper and, with a wink, throws the paper at Angelina Johnson. She turns and glares at him, whispering "what?"

Fred mouths "will. You. Go. To. The. Ball. With. Me?" while doing the actions. She smiles. "yeah. Alright, then"

Fred smirks at Ron. Ron then turns to Hermione.

"Wait, Hermione. You're a girl."

"Oh, well spotted." She says sarcastically, looking up from her parchment.

Ron started to do the dance that Fred did before Snape came over, whacking each of them on the head, smirking at me.

Yeah. Snape loves me. Probably because i'm a Slytherin. Thats the only reason i can think of.

Snape starts to walk away, and Ron continues to speak to Hermione. "Come on. Its one thing for a bloke to show up alone. For a girl its just sad."

I prepare myself for Hermione to blow up. She whisper yells "I won't be going alone because, believe it or not, someone's asked me!" She gets up and hands her book to Snape, coming back to grab her book. "And I said yes!"

She walks out of the hall and I smirk. Ron looks back at us. "She's lying about that, right?" He says

"If you say so..." Harry looks back at his work.

"She's not." I say without looking up. Ron's mouth opens but before he can say anything, I cut him off. "Before you ask, I'm not telling you. It's none of your buisness and if she wanted you to know, she would have told you."

Ron rolls his eyes, annoyed, before turning back to harry. "Look. We've just got to grit our teeth and do it. Tonight when we get back to the common room, we'll both have partners. Agreed?"

Harry nods "Agreed."

I smirk, looking down as I see Snape rolling his sleeves up behind them, then forcefully pushing their heads down to their work. I laugh, standing up and leaving the Great Hall.