50"

The group of Slytherins sat in their usual compartment which rattled on the tracks as it took them back to king's cross station

Valentina was dreading going back.

Avery's hand was always on his trunk beside him which held the diadem inside it.

Valentina wouldn't take her eyes off it, making sure nothing would happen to it.

Avery had informed her previously that he would present it to the dark lord as soon as possible and let her know what happened immediately. She was grateful for this. The diadem had consumed her mind and life for a long time and she just had to know what would come of it all.

Once again she appeared at the door step of her house.

Valentina knocked once and then twice. Rolling her eyes she opened the door and took a step in. She wasn't surprised no one had been awaiting her return from Hogwarts.

"hello mother" she said as she dragged her trunk into the parlour where her mother was sat sipping a glass of wine

"Oh hello Valentina" she replied, "Good to have you back. Get the house elves to take your trunk upstairs and unpack.

Valentina nodded and followed her trunk up the stairs.

There was nothing quite like the warm welcome she always received when she arrived home.

Unpacking her trunk she came across her mirror.
She glanced at it, staring at herself in its reflection. Sighing she collapsed on her bed, it still in her hand

If she called for him would he reply?

If she needed him, would he reply?

If she needed someone to talk to, would he talk?"

Valentina huffed and sat up, dragging her hand down her face and then running it through her hair.

"Snap out of it" she scolded herself, "you're not making yourself feel better"

she stood up and hid it behind her clothes in her dresser. With not much to do she had decided to sit at her vanity, waving her hair.

Oksana called up, "Valentina! Casper is here!"

Valentina went downstairs to see Avery stood chatting to her mother.

"So what happened?" Valentina asked eagerly from the bed to the chair avery sat on

"He was happy I found it. Said it was a test. He was trying to see who could be trusted. Said I'm loyal and a good servant" Avery said proudly, slightly puffing his chest.

Valentina wanted to roll her eyes.

"That's brilliant Casper" she smiled, "Do you think you'll be in the dark lords inner circle?"

"now, definitely" he grinned

"What did he want with it?" Valentina asked suddenly, her voice dropping lowly

Avery shrugged, "Nothing. He's told me to return it. But in a better place in which I found it. I got the idea he doesn't want it to be found. If one of us could find it, then anyone else could"

Valentina pulled a face, "he just asked you to return it?" she asked incredulously

Avery nodded, "It was more of a test" he explained, "Plus I think he wanted to test it's hiding space"

Valentina didn't know what to think.

If Avery was correct and the dark lord was so focused on carefully hiding the diadem in a place it cannot be found, then it must be important.

"We'll hide it when we get back, together" Valentina suggested and Avery nodded

"The others have been informed to stop looking, that the search has been called off"

Valentina nodded.

Her job was done.

Avery would be in the dark lords inner circle.

In a few months she was due to graduate Hogwarts, be married.

She should be glad, she should be happy.

But she wasn't.

Still, the Diadem and Sirius lingered in her mind.