21"

laying in her pyjamas in bed, Valentina had only just realised she had not properly looked around her house

laying in her pyjamas in bed, Valentina had only just realised she had not properly looked around her house. Sure she knew her away around, but it was big. It was a warren of dark corridors and small doors that seemingly lead no where.

Decided to explore the house she slipped out of bed and pushed her feet into her slippers.

She'd seen her garden from her bedroom window but it was far prettier in person.

It was a sunny day, but cold. A freshness stung her though the thin material of her pyjamas.

She glanced to the sun squinting and let the light fall onto her face taking a deep breath, inhaling the cold air.

"Valentina! what do you think you are doing!" her mother yelled, storming out from the doorway, "get back inside now! you are only in your pyjamas!"

Valentina sat at the kitchen table as her mother fussed around the kitchen.

"Your father and I are busy this afternoon so you will spend the afternoon at the Zabini's with their daughter Cordelia. As I believe you too have become friends?"

"Yes" Valentina replied

"I am glad, they are a good family"

Cordelia had answered the door to her house. It was grand and estate like. Valentina wasn't shocked. Everyone had just as perfect houses.

"Valentina, hi"

The two girls sat atop of cordelia's bed.

"I was speaking to Avery last night" Cordelia started, watching Valentina closely

"what did he have to say?"

"quite a bit. You've made an impression on him"

Valentina looked at her interested, "and by that you mean..."

"He wants you Valentina"

Cordelia looked at her sympathetically.

"wants me?" Valentina asked

"Oh Valentina" Cordelia shook her head, "To marry Val" she clarified

Valentina's eyes shot open, " to marry?" she asked in disbelief

"what did you think your mother and father are currently out discussing?" Cordelia said knowingly

"they cannot do that, can they?" Valentina asked desperately, showing cordelia the first expression of emotion since she had arrived at Hogwarts.

Cordelia had also shown a look of emotion for the first time.

It was pity, sympathy, understanding.

"I can't. I can't marry Avery!"

Cordelia sighed, "your parents have sent you here for a reason Val. They're wanting me to talk some sense into you"

"Talk some sense into me?"

"I'm betrothed to Rosier" Cordelia said sighing, Valentina's eyebrows raised, "since I was eleven as a matter of fact"

Valentina didn't know what to say next.

Cordelia surprised her by placing her delicate hand atop of Valentina's comfortingly.

"I am surprised you've not been promised earlier Val. But there's probably more pure bloods in Bulgaria so there was no need"

"It's to keep the blood pure" Valentina whispered, looking down at Cordelia's comforting hand on hers

She nodded.

"It won't be that bad" she reassured, "that's what I tell myself every night before I go to sleep anyway"

"Just like that?" Valentina asked

"just like that. well, not until it is properly confirmed between both your families it is"

Valentina couldn't believe what she was hearing. She could not spend the rest of her life with Avery.

"It won't be that bad" Cordelia repeated, " you will just have to live together. Have children when the time is right. You must understand it?"

Valentina nodded, taking her hand out from Cordelia's.

"To keep the blood pure"

"Anything to keep the blood pure"

The two girls had spent the afternoon chatting and eating the cookies that the house elves had provided.

Cordelia was cold and calculating, judgemental and harsh.

But so was Valentina.

They were the same, lived the same experiences, and dealt with the same pressures.

Valentina was glad to have someone she was now starting to consider a friend.

Someone to relate to. Someone to talk to.