Making Unconventional Friends

Shooting over the forest's canopy, (Y/N) felt so... alive. The wind in his hair and sense of freedom was a rare emotion for the demi-god, something he hadn't experienced for lifetimes. His luggage jostled on the side of the pegasi, giving (Y/N) a little sense of nerves at the thought of losing years of experimenting and ingredient gathering. Luckily, everything stayed together for the next few hours of his travel, following the young trio in the van through the countryside and soon a bus station. He came down to land nearby in a dense area of woodlands, departing with the pegasi he had come to name Αστρική Έκλειψη, meaning Astral Eclipse, based on an eclipse from the middle ages he once wrote about. There was a time (Y/N) would rather forget during the romantic period in the late 1700s where he dabbled in poetry and acted a little too much like Apollo, dating everything that moved and making up rhymes on the spot.

Catching up to the questing trio, he unfortunately had to wait several hours till their bus arrived, standing in the rain watching them play hacky sack with an apple. Annabeth always was good at that game, they shared a couple rounds back at camp in the past. (Y/N) had to admit he cracked a smile when Grover accidentally ate the apple, seeing Annabeth and Percy burst out laughing. Sitting there in the rain, he had time to contemplate his actions. Over the last few centuries, he had sat by and assisted in the destines of thousands of demi-gods. He had never gone past that though, almost being content with where he sat in the grand scheme of things. But it had been like a rude awakening, seeing this trio before him, as if it was the first time seeing true, raw mortal emotion. He had no idea why it had happened now, or why it was these three but it had happened. Enough with the soppy thought though, he pulled out his brief case and began to rummage through its contents. Pulling out numerous pill bottles, vials and syringes, he eventually found what he was looking for. A fluorescent blue liquid glowed and shimmered under the cloudy sun, small bubbles popping inside of it. A faded label was stuck onto it, reading 'Testing- Milk of Amalthea'. (Y/N) had to tone down its effects a little, but had successfully found a way to replicate the milk with the help of modern technology. Dyeing it blue for aesthetics, (he had all his tonics coloured to help his minor case of doctors OCD), it gave him boosted physical traits for a short period of time. It was after all the milk Zeus drank as a baby. Flicking the tube with his index finger, he swirled it around, watching it twinkle. Entranced by the fluid, he didn't even notice the young Dracaena sneaking up on him.

"Well, I didn't expect to find the immortal sssslave of demi-godssssss sssssso vunerable. I expected more of a fight from you." the monster said, as it slithered around him. 

Tense from the sudden attack, he grasped the Rod of Asclepius tightly in one hand ready for a counter-attack, but the Dracaena began to squeeze its tail around him, forcing him to release it. 

"No need to be so personal dear, we've only just met," he jokingly responded, trying to buy time to think of a plan. 

Its tail tightened around his chest, making it even more of a struggle to get out of his awkward sitting position. The monster, now identifiable as a female, cackled quietly, revealing its forked tongue and fangs. 

"You ssssshould be more careful demi-god, lucky I'm not here for your blood." 

Its grip loosened a little, but still enough to fix (Y/N) in place and make breathing difficult. 

A little confused about the situation, he asked, "So why are you here? I don't get many monsters wanting check ups." 

"It'ssssss not a normal requesssssst, but I require your medical asssssssissssstance. I've been cursssssed by a certain goddessssss of magic for defying her word, and now I've got a week or sssssssso till departure back to Tartarussssss." 

This stopped him for a second. One of the first monsters he'd met in the last few decades and they needed his help? Well, if he could spread a better medical reputation through the world of monsters, maybe he had something to gain from this. He was a doctor, not a fighter anyway. 

"Well, maybe if you released me I could give you a diagnosis." he wheezed out, struggling to speak. 

She countered, "Sssssswear you won't attack me the sssssecond I releasssssse you." "

I swear, now release me or I'll..." 

The snake tail drooped, and (Y/N) gasped a deep breath. Getting a better look at the dracaena, he could tell it was a similar age to him, holding similar facial features to that of a human, but not without green tainted skin and reptilian tail. A rag tied across its chest seemed to be the only clothing it wore, revealing a dirty cut along her side. 

"Well, take a seat and the doctor will see you now".

Since he had time to spare, (Y/N) took time and caution with his patient. Since he had never treated a monster before, this was all new territory, but at the same time he was fascinated with the biology of the monster, collecting little samples of blood and writing in his journal during the procedure. Asking questions as he went along, he discovered a few things about the dracaena. She was named Elara, cast out of her hunting group after disobeying Hecate, cursed with a disease that would destroy her body over time until she was nothing but dust. Even (Y/N) had to have a little sympathy for her, it was a disease he had seen put in action by Apollo, laying waste to entire cities back in ancient times. Luckily, he had treated a couple of its victims, so at least he had something to go off. After several minutes of stitching, cutting and cleansing, the wound was cleansed and bandaged, along with (Y/N) managing to cook up a temporary remedy for Elara's curse. The demi-god and the monster came to good relations over conversation, both sharing a dislike for certain gods and goddesses. 

Deep in conversation, (Y/N) eventually came to the point of what he was doing at the station. 

"Ssssssso you have to follow around sssssssome demi-godsssssss? Ssssssseemsssssss a little low for ssssssomeone of your talentsssssss," criticised Elara. 

"It's a little more complex than that, I'm trying to earn Zeus' favour in hopes he releases me from my, well how you put it; slave labour." 

Unfortunately, their discussions meant that when the bus arrived and the questing trio got on, (Y/N) hadn't even realised. He did realise the demi-gods were missing, about an hour late. When he did, he hurriedly threw all his equipment back in his suitcase, explaining the situation to Elara. Just as he was about to take leave, she put forth a proposition. 

"How about I come with you and we both benefit. You continue to help with my curssssssssse and I'll help you track the young demi-godssssss. Deal?" 

(Y/N) didn't have much experience in the modern mortal world or with monsters, and so far believed he could trust the young dracaena. So, he (reluctantly) shook her clawed hand and the two began to track down Percy's quest."