I couldn't see my house from here. Or from anywhere near here. I lived right at the edge of the town, almost into the woods that surrounded it. It had taken me a while to walk here and I was painfully aware of the fact it would take me the same amount of time to get back. And I would have to walk again.

Alone.

In the dark.

With the woods surrounding the walkways.

A shiver ran through my body. And it didn't have anything to do with the cold weather.

Laughter and chatter floated through the window above me and into the night, reminding me that they were all in there and I was out here. And I was just going to have to make my way home because no one was going to invite me inside. No one even knew I was here anyway.

It was better that way. That no one could see me. They would only tell me to go away. They always did.

Shaking my head, I slowly got to my feet, keeping an eye on the window to make sure no one saw me.

Of course, they didn't.

Keeping close to the house, I crept along the side of the mansion, around the corner and along the next wall, ducking under windows as I went. The concrete of the house felt icy and rough under my fingertips as I ran my hands along the walls while tiptoeing along, following the edge of the house until I came to what I knew was the back of the mansion. The noise of the ballroom was fainter here, so I could breathe a sigh of relief, safe in the knowledge that everyone would be at the front of the building.

With one last look around, I darted across the wet lawn to the stoned walkway that would take me straight home. My heavy boots made sloshing noises as I ran, splashing water up my jeans, wetting my legs.

Just as I reached the stones, a door banged open behind me and I quickly ducked behind the nearest tree, grateful that it was a strong wide oak.

Hearing a booming voice, I peered around the side of the tree and saw the imposing figure of Conri Wolsey, head high, chest puffed out and walking with deliberate long strides across the lawn, just feet away from where I had been standing.

He was the mayor of the town, or something like that. Everyone seemed to do as he asked. Everyone appeared to know who he was and they didn't question him. Even Claudia told me to respect him.

All I knew was that Conri was a bit of an ass. Sometimes he would speak to me, other times he didn't. But he always looked at me like he was studying me, trying to work me out.

It made me nervous, goosebumps rushing across my skin now at the memory of his eyes boring into mine.

Looking at him now with his dark hair styled flawlessly and his large frame tucked perfectly into his black tuxedo, I shrunk back further against the tree. Conri seemed to give off an air of arrogance, one that I could pick up even from this distance.

Conri wasn't alone. Everyone else had filed out of the ballroom behind Conri and onto the grass at the back of the mansion, all dressed in their elegant clothes, all of them chattering excitedly.

There was no way I would be able to sneak away now. Everyone would see me for sure.

Sighing, I ducked behind the tree as I heard the loud chatter of the whole town while they were gathered on the lawn not far from where I was hiding.

I could just stay where he was till everyone had gone. It couldn't be long now, surely. Wasn't that why everyone was outside anyway? Weren't they all going home now?

Someone cleared their throat loudly, so I peered back around the tree again, to see Conri standing off the side, raising his hands as he waited for everyone to quieten down and face him.