Chapter 18: Jealousy

Time travelling was getting really exhausting. You never really knew where you were, and you could barely sleep at night out of fear that you would either travel back to your time or the past.

You were now....14? You had been walking home from your middle school, and Tooru seemed to be talking your ear off about the high school you would attend.

You had hoped for some significant moment, but this time seemed peaceful.

Tooru smiled at you as he knew your house was only 9 steps away from his.

"Let's hang out today."

You nodded. After all, it was middle school. You wouldn't die if you decided not to think about schoolwork for the rest of the day.

He led you through his home, and you felt your brain tingling.

The mind forgets, but the heart remembers.

That was how you felt every time Tooru demanded to always have his hand on you, gently taking your hand in his, cuddling you, or cupping your cheeks in his hands. Everything felt warm, gentle, and relaxing, right.

Your memories still weren't back yet, and you were just so tired. It only took a few time-travelling experiences for you to become paranoid. It was precisely like your anxieties in college when you checked your phone practically every 5 minutes to ensure your professors hadn't assigned new work or cancelled classes. You knew it would happen at some point, but not knowing exactly made you go crazy. Except you couldn't even prepare. It was like having a pop quiz in every single class.

Tooru's eyes looked at you thoughtfully, analyzing whatever expression you had on your face.

"Are you tired (y/n)? Did you not sleep enough last night?"

"Ugh, I guess so. I guess I was just reading for a little too long."

You rubbed your wrist awkwardly, not knowing what to say to this Tooru.

"Well, let's just nap then?"

"Yeah, that sounds good."

He led you to his bedroom. It looked almost the same as when his mother had insisted you visit her.

"Don't be silly, sweetheart. It's not like you broke his heart and put him in a wheelchair. Come and have tea with me. It's been so lonely now that all my kids have moved out."

"Oh, alright."

Tooru's mother went into the closet to find photo albums as you rested on Tooru's bed.

You looked around Tooru's room. He had navy blue sheets and a comforter on his bed. His trophies, ribbons, and letters of accomplishment from school and non-school volleyball clubs were all in a trophy case and over his desk. Some things were different from when you had been here in your time: there was the smell of the room being lived in, there wasn't dust on the window, and all of those awards were not tucked away in a box because, as Tooru's mother put it "there was just too much to look at once."

Most importantly, this time in Tooru's childhood bedroom was Tooru himself.

"Did you forget something in my room? Why are you looking around so much?"

You sighed and looked at him, sitting down on his bed. Tooru seemed to get the hint and gathered you into his arms. Chuckling, you couldn't stop yourself from doing it.

This Tooru was...to say the least, not the exact Tooru you knew in your time. This was anxious Tooru ... .not smooth Tooru....he wasn't a demon on the volleyball court... he didn't know exactly what to say or how to use his body language to get exactly what he wanted from someone.