Chapter 14: Mochi and kisses

Tooru looked at you, completely perplexed. His eyebrow raised as he looked at you.

"Ugh, time travelled?"

"Yes, I know it's insane, but I really think it happened."

"Are you sure it wasn't just a dream?"

"No, I haven't been able to remember anything since we came here. I time travelled."

Tooru said nothing to you but lifted you off your bed and walked with you to the suite bathroom. His arms wrapped around your waist the second you started brushing your teeth. His face immediately hid into your neck.

"I made waffles (y/n) with lots of whipped cream."

You rolled your eyes, looking at the clingy tooru in the mirror.

Tooru seems to love sweets.

Soon enough, you finished your morning routine and sat down to a smiley Tooru. He sat down and ate with you. His hand occasionally grazed yours as he ate.

"Tooru, do you remember when we went to the hot springs?"

His eyes widened, and he froze.

"Oh...I didn't think you remembered a lot of things."

"That's the thing, Tooru, I don't remember. I lived in that moment. It wasn't a bunch of words and a few things I could focus on like in a memory. I was living in it. I could feel the steam. I slept 3 times while I time-travelled. I could see the starry sky while you confessed. I could hear the people. I could see all of their faces despite my memory being wiped. I don't have a photographic memory, yet I could see things so clearly in that moment."

Tooru was silent, looking at you. You could feel his eyes on you, like he was at the volleyball court analyzing his opponent, trying to decipher their next move.

"I believe you (y/n). Time travelling seems like a bit of a jump."

"I'm not lying, Tooru. Hanahaki disease isn't explainable either. It's been researched so many times, yet the actual mechanism that starts it doesn't seem right. Only some people with unrequited love get it. It's a mystery; we could only study what happened after and make medicine for it. There's no vaccine for it, yet it's been around for years and killing powerful leaders."

"I believe you, and if you come back from another time-travelling adventure, just tell me. I don't want you to feel disoriented or forget what you were doing during this time."

He looked at you with a neutral expression. His hands reached out and, this time, refused to let go.

"Why do you think that your time travelled?"

"Maybe it's because the universe wanted me to remember why I fell in love with you."

"What do you mean? You've already fallen in love with me. I'm so smart, and I'm super hot."

You rolled your eyes, your smirk showing.

"Maybe I am slowly doing so."

He smiled at you and released you from him.

"I bought some mochi at the store. Last night, I attempted to make it at home, and I failed."

He walked to the fridge and got you the mochi he had bought.

He is quite caring with me. He even has soda in the fridge despite his always hating it.

You took a bite and tasted the mango in the mochi. Suddenly, you felt something on your cheek.

"(y/n) you're so messy."

You blushed, seeing Tooru lick the mochi stain off of his finger. Soon enough, you had both finished your breakfast and cleaned up.

"Hey (y/n), come here. I want to show you something."

You got up from your seat and walked towards him. You blinked, and suddenly, you were back in Japan. There were lanterns and many shops.

Was this the summer festival? What year?

Everything seemed a lot...further than it should. You definitely weren't a 5'7 22 year old anymore.

"(y/n). Where did you go? I said I was going to the bathroom."

A tween-aged kimono-wearing Tooru seemed to come from thin air. His hair was similar to the hair he had now. However, it was noticeable that he used fewer hair products than before.

"Everything seemed so pretty, so I wandered too far to the washrooms."

"If I didn't know you better, I'd have said you were an empty-headed girl."

"Like I would try to catch a pretty butterfly."

You both laughed, and Tooru quickly clasped his hand with yours.

"Let's hold hands. I don't want to lose you again."

Tooru avoided your gaze, his cheeks flushed. He kept refusing to look you in the eye.

"Let's go get mochi."

"Okay, my mom gave me money to buy something for my birthday."

"Oh, that's great."

You and Tooru walked through the crowd. Tooru had to jump us a couple of times to be able to see the food stands, making you giggle. His hand never left yours, holding you like he was afraid to let go. It was rather hard, though, considering that his grasp on you was increasingly slick.

He handed you your mochi, his hand shaking.

"Are you okay, Tooru? You seem really nervous."

"It's nothing (y/n)."

You furrowed your eyebrows but said nothing. You tasted the sweet mochi, everything seemed right, and-

A napkin quickly wiped your face.

"Got you~"

Before you could react to Tooru, he leaned in and kissed you. You froze, feeling too much whiplash for you to respond.

"You're too cute,"

Tooru smirked at you, his eyes glittering.

You blushed and hid your face in his shoulder. No matter your age, Tooru will always get the best of you. He pulled you away from him, releasing his hand from yours.

It was his turn to blush now.

"(y/n) I really, really like you. Can I be your boyfriend and be with you forever?"

You could feel your chest flutter and your face heat up even more. All you wanted to do was hide in your bed and die.

"Yes, yes. You can, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you too."