Chapter 8: Back to you

Tooru looked at the airplane website for the millionth time. He had booked the flight the second he got home to Argentina.

He knew he would be on a flight to Japan in less than a day. To you.

The clock ticked and ticked. Chipping the seconds before Tooru had to leave.

"This waiting is too much for me. I already want to go to the airport," Tooru murmured.

Sighing, he decided to just go to bed.

He pulled the blanket over him and couldn't help but shiver. Nights have always been warmer with you. Even on those days, he had gotten away with cuddling his dog in bed as a kid. It never felt the same.

Tooru felt warmth whenever he was holding you. It was like a paradise of comfort and warmth that only you could give him, even if he tried to replace it with a weighted blanket or anything else.

His hand reached out to your side of the bed through muscle memory, but you weren't there. You hadn't been there for three weeks.

He didn't want to see the truth that was right in front of him. He didn't want to think about how the apartment felt so much colder even though he lived in Argentina, or only some of your clothes were still in the apartment, that it only had the fate scent of you: a mix of Vietnamese spices and the perfume you like to wear and that he refused to wash them because that would mean erasing any part of you that had stayed. Sure, you weren't here, but as of right now, he could pretend that you were having a study-abroad semester. Away from him but not really gone.

~~~~

"Hey (y/n), why do you always look out the window?" Your sister asked.

"Are you waiting for your boyfriend?" your sister said smugly.

"Oh shush, or I'm letting you eat any pizza," you said.

Your sister only chuckled. She could see right through you. Did your face really show that you missed him?

A buzzing came from your desk. You picked up the phone and answered.

"Hajime, hey," you said.

"Hey (y/n), how have you been having any visitors lately?"

"No, do you want to visit? I'm not exactly leaving our hometown anytime soon."

"Yeah, I wouldn't be able to visit in time."

"What? What do you mean?"

"Nothing that I need to interfere in."

Suddenly, the phone went silent.

Well, that sure was weird.

You sighed and flopped down to your bed.

Man, a Californian-style bed is much better than this bed, even if I had to share it.

"(Y/N) the door's ringing," your sister yelled across the house.

"You're closer to the door, you get it," you yelled.

"No, what if I get kidnapped?" your sister said.

"You're 15. You are perfectly capable of not getting kidnapped."

"No, you."

"Why is my sister such a douche?"

"Hey, I heard that."

You just pouted and got off of the bed. Having clearly lost in your argument. Maybe it was your pizza guy, though it was 10 minutes early.

You opened the door, and your eyes widened.