Chapter 22

Aubrey's P.O.V.

We were both so quiet, each of us sneaking glances at one another when we thought the other wasn't looking. Not a single word sounded out from either of us, as if we both lost our ability to speak. As the engine of the car continued to run and the wheels making several tire revolutions while we moved, my eyes remained glued on the side mirror. The bright sun shined down on the mesmerizing crystal, clear blue waters. Short waves slowly rushed up to shore before quickly retreating back into the cool waters. Small grains of sand tickled the creases between my toes, which in turn reminded me of how the coarse, beige pebbles Niall and I been sitting on minutes ago.

If it weren't for Marcus Mumford's soothing yet strong expressive voice playing from the radio, I surely would have lost my mind right now. I absolutely loathed the deafening silence that suddenly appeared out of no where. Whoever called Niall turned his mood upside down. He went from being all giddy and funny to angry and frustrated. Even his body language made it clear something irritated or angered him from the call. His eyebrows scrunched together, forming a few creases on his forehead. Both his hands tightly wound themselves around the leather steering wheel. A few huffs and groans sounded out of him, but they were so faint that I probably wouldn't have heard them if we were talking.

Whatever was bothering him seemed to roughly affect him, though. I never saw Niall become so easily frustrated. Today has been going so great, too. I really appreciated Niall's little trip to the beach. He picked the most perfect spot to go to. I didn't want anything extravagant or a place bustling with people to and fro. Not many people crowded the beach, and besides everyone sat spaced out. Sitting there, feeling the cool waves crash against the skin of toes sent so much relief throughout my body. Sadness no longer overwhelmed my mind, but rather a few twinges of pain hit my heart every now and then.

Niall managed to erase all of my sadness in a matter of hours. He brought so much comfort me with all his constant care and compassion. The way he intently listened to me made me comfortable when I talked to him. Every word that escaped my mouth, he kept record of it. His topaz blue eyes never left my face, and that was more than enough to make my heart leap. Niall payed so much attention to me,it not only reassured me that I was safe with him, but I was wanted by him. I mean I wasn't entirely sure in what sense I was wanted by him, but I knew he definitely wanted me as a friend. And I was perfectly content with that. I think.

"Niall?" I finally spilled out the name that's been threatening to roll of my tongue for the past ten minutes. It seemed that he eased his foot off the gas pedal since the car slightly slowed down in speed.

"Aubrey," he replied, keeping his eyes on the road. Niall's reply sounded as if he were now acknowledging my presence.

"You seem off, is everything okay?" I carefully asked him. I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to pry into his life. In fact, I wanted anything but that because Niall needed to feel fully comfortable with me before we reached that level. Maybe I felt comfortable confiding in Niall, but Niall was his own person, and he shouldn't feel forced to tell me everything if he wasn't ready yet.

"Um, yeah," he cleared his throat, "Somethin' at home came up." Strain and worry laced his voice.

"Oh," I breathed out. For some reason when Niall mentioned home, my heart ached just by hearing that. It hit me like a ton of bricks that Niall's home as back in London, not here in New York, in my apartment's guest bedroom. In the back of my mind, I knew Niall needed to leave at some point. I just hated the thought that he'll be thousands of miles away from me, rather than a mere four feet.

"I hope everything's okay," I added, not wanting to Niall to think I only cared about myself. Actually, I cared so much about Niall; so much it scared me sometimes. Shifting my gaze in the slightest, I noticed Niall's head look over to me. A look of both sadness and fear glistened within his eyes. Curiosity immediately struck my mind. Thoughts of why Niall seemed so tense began to roam my mind. This unknown situation put him in a trance, showing how significant it was.