Chapter 12

Aubrey's P.O.V.

Engaged. The word itself held so much meaning in the minds of many, including my own. I had always dreamed of having the perfect proposal; something romantic and sweet, but not too cliché. I imagined the man I unconditionally loved with my entire heart would be down on one knee in front of me, asking the big question. Both my parents were supposed to give their blessings before hand, containing both the excitement and sadness that their young daughter wasn't so little anymore. I had pictured running to my mom or dad, or even my aunt, screaming the words, "I'm getting married!"

Now that the time had finally come, nothing was as I had imagined it. Only a few hours following the events of the previous night, I was laid in bed, cuddled up against Pete's bare chest, listening and feeling his heart beat against the palm of my hand. He looked so peaceful sleeping with his eye lids shut and his lips curving into a smile. Pete's sudden proposal and gesture took me by complete surprise to say the least. His smile practically fell off his face due to the amount of happiness he was feeling.

A million things were going through my head as I was taking in the scene that was happening before my very eyes. Even if I wanted to say no, I couldn't bring myself to it. Not only was it Pete's birthday, but an entire crowd of people was surrounding us. There was no way I could muster up a word of rejection in a situation like that. Aside from the physical aspects of the situation, my mind was desperate to formulate some sort of response. Of course I loved Pete with all my heart, but like I said it wasn't something I expected.

Pete had been nothing but loving, caring, understanding, and patient with me. He never failed to make me happy even when I was trying so hard to push him away. The determination he had was not something I had never witnessed in anyone, but in one person. Niall. He was the sole reason behind my delayed reaction and the tears that continually streamed down my face.

All I could think about was Niall's reaction to this. At first I wasn't even sure how he would react to such mews, but then I realized I was nothing more than an acquaintance to him, a friend at most. We never stood another chance with one another. There was no reversing what I did three years ago, no matter the efforts I took in attempt at fixing things between us. It was then I realized that I had to finally push any thought of Niall away because the more I thought about him, the more I wanted to say no. Niall had his own girlfriend or whatever she was to him, so I was entitled to my own happiness.

I wanted to stop being sad everyday. I wanted the heart break that continually gnawed away at my heart to disappear. I just wanted to be genuinely happy, and this was my chance. No longer was Niall a central part of my life, it was time to stop worrying about him. Pete was every girl's dream guy, and I was lucky enough to call him mine. Forever, now.

From the corner of the closed maroon curtain in Pete's room, a sliver of sunshine peeked through. I wasn't even sure how long I had been up. Sleep just wasn't coming to me for the past few hours. Maybe I was thinking too hard, I don't really know. The cool silver metal hugged the skin of my left ring finger, still shining brightly despite the darkness of the room. A princess cut diamond was placed in the very center of the ring, connecting the parallel row of diamonds that encompassed the outer portion of the ring. With the ring on, I still felt like something was missing. Ignoring my growing paranoia, I shut my eyes in an attempt to get a few more hours of shut eye.

-

Apparently I managed to get a few hours of sleep before I felt a few weird sensations against the skin on my shoulder. When I finally regained full consciousness, I peeled my eyes open, tilting my head sideways to avoid the blinding sunlight. Some how the curtain was fully moved over to the side, revealing Pete's breath taking view of New York's skyline. If I looked hard enough, I could probably spot the top corner of work. Snapping my attention away from the view, Pete's groggy voice caused me to shift my gaze over to the right. Immediately his honey brown eyes bore their usual gaze into my own eyes.