31. Birthday

Mitsuha POV:

"I can't believe you actually convinced me to come here." Taki said. "If we back out, we're just admitting defeat. Besides, didn't you say you want to meet Tsukasa?"  I said, making Taki nod, although he still felt upset with the whole thing.

I held Taki's hand and intertwined our fingers, stunning him in the process as he looked at me. "I'm glad you're here Mitsuha." He said, making me smile as he returned the gesture. "My dear boy!" A woman's loud voice startled both of us. "You came!" The woman said cheerfully as she hugged Taki.

"Mother." Taki replied in an emotionless tone as he simply remained still in his place. "Taki-kun." Behind Taki's mother, Taki's father Itsuki Tachibana and another man of around Itsuki-san's age came towards us. The man looked a lot like Miki, making me realize he was most likely Miki's father. "Okudera-san." Taki said politely, although I could see a fury in his eyes. Taki's mother moved away and her eyes landed on me, turning them ice cold.

"Ara ara! You're still with your fling, Taki? It's about time you let go of her and consider marrying Miki." Taki's mother, Sakura Tachibana said, making Taki clench his fists. Sakura Tachibana then pulled Mr. Okudera forward. "Well then, why don't you come in?" Mrs. Tachibana beamed, making Taki grunt slightly. "I'm sure you need to speak to Mr. Okudera-san."

I lightly squeezed his hand, calming him down a notch. The two of us sauntered inside the mansion, which was decorated with bright lights, nearly making me blind. Taki scanned the crowd, as if searching for someone.

However, he soon snorted and shook his head with a smirk on his face. I knew what he was thinking. Why would Tsukasa come here? Although, another part of my mind said something else. If Tsukasa was also threatened to come here just like us, maybe he might be here.

"Taki-kun," Mr. Okudera spoke up, turning Taki's blue eyes ice-cold. "I heard that a few problems came when I was abroad, so I came back as soon as possible. I hope we can resolve them and-" He suddenly turned over to look at me with a disgusted look. "you can detach from your fling and marry my daughter. I'm sure Miki-chan would still want to marry you after this too. She really loves you; you know."

"There's no need for that." We heard another voice behind us, and I swear Taki's eyes turned deeper than the shade of crimson. "Itsuki, what do you mean?" Sakura-san asked. "Sakura, just let him marry whomever he wants. Miki can find another man." Itsuki-san said. "What?! But you promised you'd let my daughter marry your son!" Mr. Okudera shouted. "I promised no such thing, Haru. You came with the proposal, I'm just saying no to it." He then turned to us, his eyes scanning my body and I gulped, feeling uncomfortable.

"Anyways, I hope you enjoy the party." Itsuki-san said. "Anyways, I have a question for Taki-" Before he could continue, Taki held my hand and dragged me away from there.

"Taki! It's been a while." A familiar voice stilled me in place while Taki shook in rage. I turned around and saw that pervert who threw me off the ship in US, Rudeus Greyrat. "Rudeus. I didn't think you'd be here." Taki said in a cold voice.

"Oh, come on man. Are you still mad at me for forcing your fiancée to swim?" Rudeus said, making Taki glare at him. "If she had truly drowned that day, I swear you would be wiped off the face of the earth." Taki replied in an ice-cold voice. "Come on. That was all in the past. Why can't you just forget it and let's be friends again? Okay?" 

Taki clenched his fists, and I could see he was clearly holding himself back from attacking him. I looked around, trying to search for something that might calm him down, when a slow music for a couple dance came. I was just about to ask Taki for a dance when he spoke up. "Mitsuha," "Ya?" "Can we go outside for a while? I feel so suffocated in here." I nodded and the two of us went outside to the garden.

I smiled as I saw the beautiful flowers, their bright colors shining in the moonlight. I gently leaned down and breathed in their sweet, intoxicating scent as a gentle breeze flew by, swaying my hair sideways. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Taki staring at me as if mesmerized by something.

"Mitsuha, let's go." Taki whispered in my ear after a while, making me nod. However, as soon as I got up, I slipped on a few wet leaves on the ground, making me fall backward on top of Taki. "My god! I'm sorry." I apologized and tried to move away. However, Taki wrapped his arms around my waist and pressed me against him as he buried his face in the crook of my neck.

I shivered slightly and tried to move away from him, but Taki's grip was too strong. "A little while. Please..." Taki begged making me sigh as I looked up. "Tachibana-san-" I started, but before I could complete, I felt a wetness on my neck, startling me.

I slowly turned around and saw Taki burying his face in my neck as tears kept spilling out of his eyes. "Ta-" "Don't... please... don't." Taki whispered as he pressed me closer to his body, making me feel a warmth all over my body and a chill on my neck.

Suddenly, I felt a long, lingering, wet kiss on my cheek before Taki buried his face in my shoulder again. I sighed as I looked up. "Well... a little while is fine." Tears kept dripping out of those blue eyes, soaking my neck and shoulder wet.

Looks like the truth hit him harder than I expected. Well, having your own father kill your best friend and destroy your friendship... force you into a marriage with a woman who is obsessed with you, the worst part being the woman was the reason why the friendship was ruined... I sighed. Taki was just being controlled by his father like a puppet. Honestly, having your own parents control all your life decisions is truly painful... I'm talking with experience.

'Tachibana-san... just how messed up was your childhood?' I wondered as Taki continued pressing me against his body, my neck getting wetter each second.