28. Acceptance

Taki POV:

That Saturday, Mitsuha, Yotsuha and I all made our way to Itomori to meet my grandmother. After a four-hour ride, we finally reached Itamori. "This is nostalgic." Yotsuha said as we got out of the car. I looked around in awe while Mitsuha sighed as she breathed in the fresh, town life. "It sure is." She said.

"Onee-chan, you missed this place?" Yotsuha asked her in shock. "Why are you so shocked?" Mitsuha asked. "Because you always said you wanted to leave this town and go to Tokyo as soon as possible." "That doesn't mean I hate this town." I smirked, making her turn to me. "What are you smirking about?" Mitsuha asked, feeling annoyed. "Nothing. You're cute." "Shut up!"

We finally reached my grandmother's house, who welcomed us warmly. "Grandma!" Mitsuha and Yotsuha threw themselves into their grandmother's arms, which she returned with a warm smile. "You've grown so much, Mitsuha. Yotsuha too." Their grandma said as she touched their cheeks. "Grandma, how are you?" Mitsuha asked as she removed her heels. "I'm okay Mitsuha. By the way, did you finally find a man for yourself?" She asked as she looked at me.

"Good afternoon grandma. I'm Taki Tachibana, Mitsuha's fiancé." I said, stunning Mitsuha's grandmother. "What? Mitsuha, you're getting married? And you didn't even tell me such an important thing." Her grandmother scolded Mitsuha. "I'm sorry grandma. I wanted to tell you, but I've been so busy with work that I just couldn't find time. So, I thought of making you meet him directly."

Before Mitsuha could speak, her grandmother cut through her. "Mitsuha, may I have a word alone with this young man?" She asked. Although skeptical at first, Mitsuha eventually agreed. "Then I'll take my leave. Yotsuha, let's go." Mitsuha said as she walked away with her sister.

I chuckled slightly when I saw annoyance on her face before turning my attention back to grandmother. "What did you say your name was again, young man?" Hitoha Miyamizu-san asked me. "I'm Taki Tachibana, ba-chan." I replied.

"Taki-kun... may I call you that?" Hitoha-san asked me making me comply. "Of course you can ba-chan. You are older than me." Hitoha-san smiled before she continued speaking. "Actually... there is something I want to tell you."

And then, Hitoha-san told me everything: how Mitsuha's parents met, how Mitsuha's father abandoned the shrine after Mitsuha's mother's death, how Mitsuha was constantly ridiculed in school because of the tradition she imposed on her.

"Taki-kun, Mitsuha suffered a lot to become the person she is today. She always told me she wanted to go to Tokyo and live a successful life and take care of me and Yotsuha. But, I know that's not her real dream. I once accidentally read her diary, where she wrote that she wanted to open her own jewelry shop with her own designs. But I feel like I dragged her down with my traditions." Hitoha-san said with a sigh. "We elders sure are selfish. Without even taking her feelings into consideration, I selfishly pushed the traditions onto her, making her hate me."

"Hitoha-san, I... wouldn't say Mitsuha hates you. If anything, she's willing to do anything for both you and Yotsuha. And that is the main reason why I want to be with her." I said, making Hitoha-san look at me. "Hitoha-san, I know you're feeling nervous. After what happened with you and Mitsuha's father, I'm sure you would be skeptical to make her marry someone like me. But, Hitoha-san, trust me when I say I love Mitsuha. I would do anything to protect her, or her family." I said with determination.

Hitoha-san seemed slightly stunned with my words. "But..." "Hitoha-san, I swear, I will take full responsibility of the Miyamizu shrine. Although I don't want to think about it... even if one day, Mitsuha will leave the world before me... I will never leave her family alone. I will do my duties for the Miyamizu family." I said with determination.

Hitoha-san smiled. "Thank you Taki-kun." She said as she gently patted my head. "Please take care of Mitsuha." She said softly. "I promise. As long as I'm alive, I will never let her cry."