18. Devil

My thoughts kept going back to Taki over and over again. Once we reached the land again, we both went back to our rooms and thankfully, he didn't continue bugging me. I took a quick hair shower with warm water and wore a loose frock before falling on the bed. I was exhausted, physically and mentally. Due to not having much of an appetite the whole and nearly drowning, I felt exhausted and fell asleep almost instantly.

By the time I woke up, it was around seven. I wondered how Tohru-san was doing. I wanted to meet her again, somehow. However, I didn't know how I could. Maybe, once I go back to Japan, I could go to The Sohma Industries and meet her. A sudden knock on the door startled me, pulling me out of my thoughts. I walked up to the door and opened it, only to find Taki standing on the other side wearing a white shirt and black pants. "How are you feeling?" He asked instantly as he eyed me. "I'm okay now." I replied, making him nod.

"Then get ready. We're going out." He spoke. "Where?" I asked. "To meet the devil." He said glumly. "Your father?" I asked. "I'd be disrespecting the demon if I call him the devil." I wanted to smack his head. This guy never makes any sense. "Who is it then?" "Someone worse. At least for me."

"Just get ready and come out." He said and closed the door, making me widen my eyes. "Yes boss." I said angrily and walked over to the suitcase. I pulled out a cute yellow frock and white sandals. I wasn't really in a mood to go anywhere. But it's not like that Dracula would take a 'no' for an answer. I combed my hair and made myself look presentable before leaving the room.

Taki waited at the hotel entrance in front of his car. Once he saw me, he gave a small smile and opened the door for me. I rolled my eyes and got inside. Taki closed the door and got in the driver's seat.

Taki started the car and rotated the wheel, driving away from the hotel. "You said the devil. Why's that?" I asked. "Because that person hates me more than anything in the world." "Really? I'll be good friends with that person then." "That's my biggest worry." He muttered.

"It's a four-hour ride. You can sleep if you want." He said, making me gape at him. "Four hours! It's going to be late by the time we come back!" I exclaimed, making him nod. "Why'd you have to drag me as well? Can't you just go on your own?"

As soon as I said that I noticed Taki's grip on the steering wheel tighten as he continued driving. "Wait a second. Are you taking me with you because you're afraid to go alone?" I asked, making his jaw twitch. My eyes widened. "What?! You're actually afraid?!" I was shocked. "Wow! Wonder who's the person who can make the big boy tremble." I chuckled as I playfully smacked his arm.

Taki scowled. "I can't wait to meet that person." I said excitedly. "Just sleep." He grunted in annoyance. "Okay. Don't kidnap me."

***

"Mitsuha?" I felt a warm hand touch my cheek, making my eyes flutter open. Taki was leaning towards me with a smile on his lips. "We arrived." He stroked my cheek one last time before he got out of the car. I blinked once to chase the sleep away and got out of the car. My legs felt numb due to sitting the whole time. I bent down and hit my knees, trying to make my blood flow faster.

Once I was little stable, I looked around, taking in my surrounding. We were outside a small house, big enough for a maximum of one person. It was something similar to those small houses you see in cartoons. Several small light bulbs hung around the front porch, illuminating the night sky.

"Reminds me of a real-life cartoon." I spoke. Taki sighed and walked forward. "Will you tell me at least now, who are you meeting?" "We came here to meet my... ex-friend." He said, pausing in between.

"Ex-friend?" I asked, raising my eyebrow questioningly at him. However, it only struck me moments later how one of Taki's friends was charged for the murder of his other friend. If he really did murder his other friend, why did Taki come to meet him? "Oh." I didn't know what else to say.