3. Bad Impression

Tessie, Sayaka and I looked at each other in shock. "Did he mistake you for her?" Tessie asked while guilt washed over me. "Oh no, no. Mr. Tachibana doesn't know my name. He probably thought I was the chief's real secretary and just asked me to get fired." I held my head in shock. "What do I do? I made the real secretary lose her job."

"Just keep quiet and avoid Tachibana as much as you can." Sayaka said, making me look at her in shock. "Are you being serious?" Hina Amano, my coworker asked. "If you were in the secretaries' place, would you find that right? How would you feel if you were fired for someone else's mistake?" This time, Sayaka erupted. "First of all: Mitsuha didn't do any mistake. Second: the secretary often does this to avoid meetings." "How can you be so sure she isn't actually sick?" "If you want proof, check her boyfriend's snaps." Tessie said angrily.

"Guys, be quiet! I'm going to turn in." I said as I closed my eyes while breathing in deeply. "WHAT?!" Both Tessie and Sayaka shouted. Sayaka came forward and sat next to me. "You don't have to turn in. Maybe... you can talk it out with Tachibana-san."

"Are you stupid Saya-chan?" Tessie scolded. "Do you think Tachibana-san will say: Oh, thank you for making things right. I should take back my words and not fire you?" "That's not what I meant." Sayaka defended herself. "That's clearly what you said, stupid." "Guys stop!" I said as I lifted my hand to make them stop their bickering. "I'll be calling the chief first." Saying so, I took out my phone and dialed the chief's number.

After waiting for a while, he picked it up. "Hello?" He spoke through. "Hello sir. It's me, Mitsuha." I spoke. "Ah, Mitsuha-san. I guess you heard the news." "Yes, I did. I... I'll resign sir." I said reluctantly. I didn't want to leave this job, but it was the only thing I could do. "Don't do anything reckless now. Meet me in my office tomorrow morning at eight." He said and cut the call.

I kept my phone down and sighed deeply. "What did he say?" Sayaka asked. "He asked me to meet him at his office tomorrow morning." I said and leaned back on my chair, throwing my head backward. "How can I come if I'm supposed to be fired?" "Don't overthink. Just go home and take rest." 'Rest,' I thought. 'that's the last thing I'd be getting in these circumstances.'

***

The next morning, I went to the chief's door and knocked it. "Come in." The chief called and I walked inside. "Ah, Mitsuha-san. Please come in and sit down." The chief said and pointed at the chair in front of his table. Somebody brought over a cup of coffee, making me turn around and widen my eyes in shock. It was the chief's secretary. "Y-you?" I stammered. "I came to pack my things." The secretary said, making my heart bleed with guilt. "Oh my god. I-I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to." I almost cried in embarrassment. My goodness, you can't control a sneeze. Blame that stupid CEO for this. That narcissist, rude, arrogant bastard. But I should've resigned as soon as I got the news. Why did I delay it?

"It's okay. I didn't like working here that much." She said with a smile. "Being a chief is good. But chief's secretary is suffocating because I always have to see the CEO. Besides, the chief felt guilty and recommended me to another company. He knows their boss and they said they would take me in." "So... you're leaving?" I asked with uncertainty. "Yes. That job pays me well too. The work environment is less stressful as well. I'll go. You can keep your job here."

I blinked. "Keep my job?" I asked before I turned to the chief. "Sir, wouldn't I be deceiving the CEO then?" The chief clicked his tongue in annoyance. "He fires way too many people. I doubt he'll even remember you. If you just stay out of his way, thing will be fine." "But... isn't this risky?" "Tachibana-kun is good at his work, but I don't approve of his way of handling employees. Firing someone just because they sneezed? That's absurd." He said while shaking his head.

"That means I can keep my job?" I asked as hope bloomed inside me. "As long as you keep away from the CEO. If you're caught, it will keep both of us in trouble." "Yes chief. Thank you so much." I said happily as I bowed in gratitude before leaving the room.

My friends were waiting for me, their ears glued to the walls. As soon as they saw me, they sprinted in my direction. "So, what happened?!" Tessie asked to which I told them everything. "That's amazing!" Saya-chan said happily and gave me a small hug.

Later, during lunch break, we decided to go to the nearby restaurant when I suddenly saw the devil and his secretary make their way towards us. I quickly ran inside the washroom which was right next to me and waited while Saya-chan followed closely. "Tessie?" I whispered. "He's fine. He's hiding under a desk." She whispered back.

We waited in the washroom for thirty minutes until Saya-chan went outside to check whether that devil was still present. When she saw no sign of him, she motioned for me to move. As soon as we left the washroom, Tessie joined us and we went outside for lunch. "Mitsuha, you should avoid the CEO as much as possible." He said, to which I nodded. Avoid Taki Tachibana. How hard can it be?