Chapter Eight

Dante turned to the carriage, ready to leave this place, but stopped in his tracks. "Fuck!" He ran his hands through his hair, pulling at the ends. Borus had cut the throats of the horses, killing them instantly. He didn't want to force Nadine to walk the hundreds of miles to his family.

"Dante," Nadine hurried behind him as he continued his long strides toward the carriage. She gripped his arm, stopping his movements. "Look at me." Dante did what she asked of him, turning and giving her his attention. She pressed her hands against his chest. "You're taking me to your home? To your family?"

Dante nodded. "I am," he grunted. "It will take days, maybe weeks, until we reach the compound." He ran his hands through his hair again out of frustration.

"Do you think that is wise?" Nadine searched his face, her eyes scurrying across his face.

Dante furrowed his eyebrows. "I do think that is wise," he growled. He stepped closer to him as her hands fisted his shirt. "I am not taking you back to your owner. You are mine, Nadine. You are mine to protect, and I am taking you to my compound. If your owner wants you that much, he can come and try to fucking take you away from me." He took a deep breath. "Do you understand me?"

Nadine's eyes shone as she slowly nodded her head. "Yes."

"Good," Dante growled as he gave a sharp nod. He wrapped his arms around her waist and brought her into his chest, one of his hands cupping the back of her head. "I will never let you go, Nadine. We need to get moving," he sighed. "We have a long trip ahead of us."

Nadine pushed against his chest and looked up at him. "He will come after me, Dante."

"Fucking let him," he growled. "As I told you, you are mine, and I'm not giving you up without a fight."

Nadine gave him a soft smile, worry still held in her eyes. "Come one," she took his hand, leading him toward the carriage.

Change of plans, brothers, Dante announced over their bond.

What has happened, Dante? Drystan's voice bounced in his head.

Borus was here.

Borus has turned, hasn't he? Draco asked him, his voice tinged with sadness.

Dante sighed as they stopped in front of the carriage. He stood guard outside as Nadine stepped into the carriage, grabbing whatever she could carry. He has. He came after Nadine.

Fuck, Draco cursed. Did you? he trailed off, not wanting to continue his sentence.

I had to, Dante answered his brother. He wanted to take her away from me. I couldn't let that happen. He sighed again as Nadine handed him one of the furs. We're now heading to the compound.

What about the family that owns her? Drystan asked.

He can try to take her back, Dante growled. The other men, as well as the horses, are dead. We'll be traveling by foot.

You know the way, brother, Draco spoke up. We will prepare for you and your mate here before meeting you outside the compound.

We'll bring an extra horse, Drystan added. We'll always have your back, brother.

Dante couldn't help the smile that spread across his lips. I know, and for that, I am grateful.

We will see you soon, brother, Dante added before cutting off the connection.

Nadine climbed out of the carriage, a fur wrapped around her shoulders as she stopped before him. "Is everything alright, Dante?"

Dante gave her a small smile as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, steering her toward the compound. "In light of everything that has happened, yes, everything is good, my mate." His eyes moved over her. "Do you have any weapons?"

Nadine nodded. "I have them hidden."

"Hidden?"

Nadine stepped in front of him, swinging her hips a little. "Yes, sir. I have weapons hidden all over my body."

This woman was going to be the death of him. His eyes roamed her body, searching for the weapons she claimed were hidden. They moved further into the forest and further away from the massacre behind them. His mind continued to wander to Nadine. He continued to wonder where those weapons were on her body.

Nadine looked up at the sky and sighed. "The sun will be up soon." She turned around and wrapped the fur tighter around her shoulders. "We need to find a cave."

Dante nodded as he gripped her elbow. "There should be many caves nearby." He steered them into the direction of a network of caves. He could feel the sun rising into the sky. His body felt heavy as the faintest line of light pierced through the sky. He gently pushed her into the cave and away from the sunlight.

"How do you know so much about the area?" she asked him as he picked a spot for them to make camp for the day. She allowed him to sit her down against the cave wall.

Dante grunted as he sat down beside her, ensuring he was the one closest to the cave mouth. "I've traveled a lot, Nadine. I was alone for a long time, and the only thing that would bring me joy was traveling and seeing the world."

Nadine moved closer to his side, resting her head against his shoulder. "I'm glad you found me, Dante."

Dante wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him. "I'm beyond fucking happy I found you as well, my mate." His eyes bore into her face. "There is something that I was wanting to know."

Nadine looked up at him, twisting her body to face him. "What is it?"

Dante smirked at her. "I'm wondering where those weapons are."

Nadine smiled as she shrugged the furs off her shoulders. "Why don't you find out?"