Chapter One

Dante crept through the dense forest. Light snow flurries danced through the air before landing on the forest floor, covering the ground in a bright white. He stopped against a tree and turned his face up to the sky. He sighed deeply before slowly letting the air out. Three years ago, he left his family hoping to find his mate, his other half. Dante had grown tired of watching his brother and Drystan with their mates, being happy while he felt as if his mind was turning crazy.

Six months ago, Dante gave up hope and decided to succumb to the sun. Obviously, he was still here and hadn't decided to walk into the sun. There was always something pulling him back and righting his mind. When a beautiful scent reached his nose a week ago, he found what that something was. The scent was one of a woman, his woman. He knew that she was his just by her scent. It was intoxicating and left his mouth salivating at the thought of being with her. He wanted her and was determined to find her. He had followed her scent for the past week but could never reach her. Every day, she had been one step ahead of him.

Today was different. Today, her scent is more robust than it was before. He took a couple of steps forward before slowing his movements. He made his steps lighter before he came across a small camp. Suddenly, five different scents came across his nose. A snarl came out of his mouth as he smelled four male scents surrounding his females. His incisors lengthened at their scents.

Dante blended into the shadows as he moved closer to the camp. He ensured he wouldn't be seen as he looked out over the camp. Four burly men sat around the small fire, dressed heavily in furs. They tore at the meat in their hands. They were laughing and making jokes, making small talk with one another.

Dante didn't care what they were talking about as his eyes searched desperately for his woman. His heart stuttered as he found her sitting away from the fire. She was the epitome of elegance, as her back was straight, her black hair long and straight against her back. Her eyes were dark, avoiding emotion as the fire danced in her eyes.

Dante's hands clenched into fists as he noticed what she was wearing. His woman was wearing a long black dress that hugged her perfect curves with a neckline that brought too much attention to her plump breasts. Unlike the men, she wasn't wearing any furs. He prayed that she was a vampire as he was so she wouldn't feel the cold.

Dante's heart slammed against his chest as his eyes met hers when he looked back at her body. She could see him, which gave him enough proof that she was like him. Her eyes held understanding in them that she knew who he was and what he was here for.

Mine, his inner beast growled.

Yours, a female voice caressed in his head, startling him. His breathing became heavier as he continued to stare at her. The woman cocked her head to one side and gave him a small smile.

Dante took a deep breath to calm himself before stepping out of the shadows. He kept his hands up as the four men cocked their crossbows at him. He used a calming presence and voice to convince them to let him in.

"Who are you?" the first man on the right barked.

Dante gave them a bright smile. "The name is Dante. I'm here to help." He gently looked at each of the men's memories. They were accompanying the woman on her mission to kill different rich men. He just needed a quick way to get information and would ask her for more info.

The men looked at each other briefly before returning to him. "We don't remember anything about you from the boss."

Dante shrugged his shoulders. "He just wants to make sure that she comes home safely." His voice lowered, commanding them to let him stay with their camp.

The four men blinked rapidly before lowering their weapons. "Fine," one of them barked. The four men placed their weapons on the ground before sitting around the fire, picking up their food.

Dante stared at the men momentarily before moving around them and toward his woman. The woman held a satisfied smile as she watched him approach. He stopped before her and looked down. "What's your name?"

The woman's eyes bore into his as she answered, "Nadine."

Dante's knees threatened to buckle at the sound of her voice. That one word caressed his mind. He pulled a large wooden box over and sat before her, not trusting his knees to keep him standing up. "Do you know who I am?"

Nadine's eyes shone as she looked at him. "Yes, I do, Dante."

Dante returned her smile. "Are you afraid of me?"

Nadine shook her head gently. "I am not." She took a deep breath. "If you are smelling fear off of me, it's not because of you."

"Who?" Dante growled lowly.

Nadine's smile was one of amusement. "My owner."

Dante's heart dropped as those words reached his ears. "What are you talking about?"

Nadine took another deep breath. "I was bought decades ago, Dante. They trained me as a killer for his family. They keep me fed just enough that I have the strength to do the job but weak enough to come back dependent on him."

Dante's hands clenched as he growled dangerously low.

Fear flashed in Nadine's eyes as she looked around him at the men sitting by the fire. "It would not be wise to take me now, Dante."

"Why not?" he growled.

Nadine returned her attention to him. "The family I work for is extremely powerful."

"I'm extremely powerful."

Nadine rolled her eyes. "I know, but you're not listening. They have many different vampires of different ages working for them. If you take me away now - which I can see that you're thinking about it - they will come after us."

Dante leaned forward on his knees. He longed to touch her but knew that if he did, he wouldn't be able to stop, and he didn't want an audience. "I can protect you, Nadine."

"Dante," she sighed. "I don't want our lives to be running away from danger. You can find another way to help me."

Dante took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Fine." He was going to follow her to her owner's house. He had just found her, and he wouldn't let her go.