Ch.36

Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland

Given the short time period between the end of the summit and the expiration of the truce, Johnson along with the other world leaders rushed back to their respective countries. Which Johnson found surprisingly efficient, given that both the Honolulu airport and Marine Corps base on the other side of the island were jammed with various aircraft. However as Air Force One had taken off from the ground she had glanced over at two sights on the island. The National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, and the USS Missouri directly facing the rusted submerged wreck of the USS Arizona. Two poignant locations that were an eternal reminder of the Second World War, and the scale of the conflict in terms of the losses inflicted upon American forced entry into the war, the cost that conflict wrought in the Pacific theater. Lastly, the place where the war ended with the Japanese signing the surrender documents on the deck of the Missouri.

The sights made Johnson think of the current conflict and how it already eclipsed the scale of both world wars. It had already claimed the lives of over seventy five million worldwide and counting, hundreds of cities had been destroyed and hundreds of millions mobilized. In America it was particularly bad, as the Empire had killed over three million American citizens and soldiers alike, in addition to massive damage to the national infrastructure the likes of which had never been seen before. Seven decades prior the closet the Second World War got to American soil was the Japanese invasion of the Aleutian Islands in 1942, which resulted in the only land battle of the war in North America, along with several shore raids by submarines, a single Japanese plane dropping incendiary bombs in Oregon and Northern California, and a series of incendiary balloons landed from Japan in 1945. Now they faced a civilization that was thousands of years more advanced than their own, with the ability to traverse the galaxy in flying warships that were a mile long. All due to the unfortunate circumstance of one young man from Earth being gifted with abilities that science did not understand.

Now as the motorcade began the journey back to the rural countryside of Virginia, Johnson thought of the endeavors of her predecessors during times of great national distress. Washington commanding the Continental Army through the terrible winter at Valley Forge. Lincoln leading the Union to victory over the Confederacy for the restoration of national unity and the freedom of enslaved peoples. Roosevelt at the sudden onset of what was the most destructive conflict in all of recorded history. Kennedy at the prospect of nuclear war and Bush after the attacks on 9/11. Now she, the first woman to hold the presidency had a task on her shoulders far greater than that of all other Presidents combined, the defense of the nation from complete annihilation. She then decided that in order for her to further inspire others she must be seen out and about by the people, and by personnel. Looking over at Sophia she knew that she must do everything to protect her and the nation, even if that meant jeopardizing her own life.

She looked up and cleared her throat, "Aaron?" She said to the head of her detail. Aaron looked back, "yes ma'am?" He asked. "I don't think we should return to the Gettysburg Bunker, let's switch it up and head for Raven Rock instead" Johnson said. "Yes ma'am" Aaron said and was about to speak into his radio when Johnson continued. "Two more things, I want to visit at least one military hospital along the way and inspect the troops" she continued and knew that her next response would be met with protests by all of her advisers and cabinet. "I would also like to command troops in the field personally, it will inspire them". Aaron sighed, "Madam President, I can only do two of those things without protest". "You can protest all you wish, but respectfully I will not abide by it" Johnson politely said back. "Of course ma'am" Aaron said and then proceeded to rely the instructions onto the motorcade.

"Mom?" Sophia asked and Johnson looked over, "what are you doing?" She asked and Johnson took her hand. "I'm doing what's right honey, but are you ok with visiting the hospital? You may see some things" Johnson replied. "I'll be fine mom but I'm worried about you" Sophia said back, "what if you got killed?". Johnson pondered the question and thought of an explanation, "that won't be happening, but if something happens I want you to take your stuff and head for your Uncle Frank's, do everything that he taught you". Frank was the brother of Johnson's late husband and he was an outdoor enthusiast, who taught not only Sophia but his own children how to survive in the wilderness and how to get to his cabin in the Appalachian mountains from almost anywhere on the Eastern seaboard. Sophia nodded, "ok" she said quietly.