Ch. 27

Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands

Not too long after leaving Moscow, Shawn gave the pilot the coordinates that he had seen on the picture of the Prinz Eugen's wreck. "I have been told that the military facility on the island is deserted, the personnel have relocated to a nearby atoll" the pilot said as he began the descent down to the island. Shawn let out a sigh of relief as he was relieved that people wouldn't have to be killed, in order for him to retrieve the holocron without incident. Looking out the cockpit window he  also admired the beauty of the ocean and the greenery of the trees on the island, especially with the beautiful orange sunset in the distance, if circumstances were different he thought it was a good place for a getaway. That was until he spotted the rusted propellers of a capsized ship sticking up from the water, "there" he said pointing at the ship. The pilot nodded and began to make the descent to the island closest to the wreck. From the sky Shawn began to try to deduce how to best approach the ship, as it was at least a hundred yards offshore. Though he was able to see that given that it was dusk it was also low tide, as the gravitational pull of the moon pulled the water several feet from shore, but also exposed the wreck even more.

The ship landed and Shawn walked back to the ramp which descended. He walked down and was immediately enamored by the smell of sea salt and the hot humid air, along with the crash of the waves against the shore and the breeze on his face. Shawn smiled and laughed to himself at the sight, as not long ago he was in Winterfell in the middle of a harsh winter, now he was stood on a tropical island on Earth in the middle of late summer. He saw the wreck was further away down the coast and began walking towards it, still looking around in awe at the beauty of the island. Although he sensed people were nearby and looked to his right at the few small houses dotting the shoreline, a Marshallese woman looked through the window of one at him and then quickly hid away. Shawn realized that it was most likely due to the Imperial sigil on his jacket shoulder which more than likely scared her away, as the Marshallese were renown for their peaceful and almost pacifist nature.

He then stopped along the shore directly away from the wreck, the sunlight of the sunset now cast its orange color on the wreck and amplifying it's rusty color. Shawn then sighed as he prepared himself, first he removed his boots and jacket before he also removed his pants and shirt. Not knowing if he would have to defend himself he opted to take his lightsaber with him, as it was built with waterproof modifications. He then began to walk into the water which thankfully was a very warm temperature, though it was right as the water got to his chest and stung the bruises on his chest from the bullets did he remember that the ocean was saltwater, therefore he could not have his eyes open underwater, meaning he would be going in physically blind. Shawn sighed and focused his mind with the Force before he kicked off the sand and began treading water towards the wreck as best he could, as him tightly clutching his lightsaber did hamper his ability to swim properly. In addition to that he also had his eyes shut and was relying on his Force sense to navigate him.

Focusing on breathing did distract him enough to not realize he was close to the wreck, as his hand hitting its hull made him jump a little. Carefully opening his eyes he looked up and saw he was touching the rudder. Shawn then managed to pull himself up out of the water and onto the wreck, though he was trying to be careful, as the coral on the hull was pretty sharp in some places. Slowly making his way up to the main propeller he stopped and sensed something, a chill came over him despite the warm temperature of the water as he sensed the holocron was near. Focusing himself he listened closely and heard the faint screech coming from within the hull. Carefully walking down the hull he could feel the holocron was near, but the idea of going inside the ship did make him very nervous. Jumping back into the water Shawn swam down the side of the ship before stopping right above where a hatch superstructure was underwater. Shutting his eyes Shawn calmed his nerves and then while focusing himself into the Force utilized an ability that he had not used before, breath control. The ability if performed correctly enabled a Force-sensitive to stop oxygen from dissolving out of their cells and freezing it in place, thus allowing them to hold their breath for extensive periods that an ordinary being could not. The ability was only limited by the expertise of the user, and as Shawn had not used it before he was unsure of how long he could. Focusing himself and taking a deep breath he then dived down into the ocean water.