23 | Childhood Kisses and Jealously

"You have to show them that you're really not scared. You're playin' with your life, this ain't no truth or dare."

~Michael Jackson, Beat It

Please don't forget to comment, follow, and vote!

After all the baking was done, the couple collapsed on the couch, a handful of cookies in each hand. Sophie popped a cookie in her mouth and asked, "Is there anything on our agenda today?"

Cillian mimicked her actions. "There is, actually. My parents invited us to dinner if we want to go."

"That sounds nice. Is that what you'd like to do?"

"I think so. It's just a... a little overwhelming."

"I'm sure." She reassured his feelings, wiping the cookie crumbs from her fingers to interlock them with his. "Whatever you need, I'll be with you every step of the way."

A sheepish smile stretched across his lips. "I actually wanted to ask you something." He said, his eyes searching hers. She gave his hand an encouraging squeeze and he continued. "I don't think it's safe for you to be alone here."

She released a breath and nodded. "Unfortunately I agree. I won't go anywhere without you, if that's what you're insinuating."

"It is, yeah. Thank you." He replied, relieved she agreed.

It wasn't that everyone was untrustworthy. In his heart, he knew there were a few that would potentially be safe. At the end of the day, family or not, his family were strangers to him. He'd do anything to protect Sophie from them- or anyone.

"Thank you." She corrected, leaning her head against his shoulder. "Thank you for keeping me safe."

•••

"I hope you don't mind, we invited a few more people. Just a couple other close family friends. They're all excited you're here." Andrew patted Cillian on the back.

He reassured his dad that it was fine, but Sophie could tell he was nervous.

His parents were hosting the dinner in their stunning log cabin. It had the same huge windows, gorgeous wood floors, cozy carpets and couches, and tall ceilings. It was breathtaking. Every house here was.

A little girl trotted in, no older than six years old. She wore a flowery pink dress and her hair was up in two pigtails. There were two adults that came in behind her, who Sophie assumed were her parents.

"Cillian! Oh my, it's so good to see you!" The woman exclaimed, but didn't make any moves to hug him. His parents must have warned them. "I'm your cousin-"

"Maddison, I remember." He greeted and surprised her by pulling her in for a hug. It was quick and he was quite tense, but he was working on it.

She pulled back from the hug, a huge smile on her lips. "I'm so happy you're here! I want you to meet my mate and daughter." She told him, beckoning them over. "This is Sam and my daughter Teagan."