Chapter 37

One by one, the four of them swiped their cards and passed through the entrance of the apartment complex. As they gradually disappeared from view, the person spying on them from the corner finally gave up on their trail. The security guard on duty looked warily at the suspicious person armored with a scarf, a mask, and a baseball cap.

Fortunately, the suspicious character did not linger long at the gate. They checked their phone for a moment before leaving quickly.

After passing through two crowded intersections and while waiting for the light to turn green, the person pulled down their mask for a breath of fresh air. Even though they kept the brim of their hat low, anyone familiar with her would realize from her half-exposed face that this was Xue Yuejia.

Even though she often stalked her idols in this getup, she had to be more cautious this time.

His disappearance from the school ball was just the beginning. Xia Chuan had disappeared completely in the following days. Neither his classmates nor his friends from the basketball team knew where he had gone. When she asked the coach, she learned from him that Xia Chuan had taken leave from school. Xue Yuejia was in fact quite happy to avoid them since Shang Yuzhong put her into a tough spot last time. But when she thought about how Xia Chuan had been sharing a house with the three of them...she grit her teeth and tried to find out where he was now.

But the answer she received was very vague. She was told that Xia Chuan had gone back home to deal with some family matters.

What sort of matter was it that he had to take leave from school to deal with it? What could be so urgent that he couldn't even inform his friends about it?

Xue Yuejia was suspicious. She had also discovered some unusual behavior from the rest of them. Shang Yuzhong had been gone for a long time, while Jiang Xuehang and Su Ming, who usually had a lot to do at school, were suddenly playing hooky as well. She continued following them for a period of time and discovered all of them going in the same direction. It was the semi-new apartment complex nearby the university.

From what she could remember, they did mention that they had rented a room here.

Going home after school was hardly unnatural, especially when it was cold out, so her trail broke off there.

But she was not discouraged. After trying every trick in her sleeve, she managed to grab ahold of Xia Chuan's SNS details from one of his law classmates. However, her friend request didn't go through on both WeChat and QQ. His Weibo had also gone silent for a long time. She had no choice but to look for clues from his lucky draw reposts and found a girl who interacted with him often.

An account with a feminine-sounding ID and a kitten for a display picture interacted with him often. Xue Yuejia's breathing hitched up. She was praying that this girl had to be ten times uglier than herself, and her finger was trembling as she tapped on their photo album.

A girl who seemed to resemble Xia Chuan appeared on her phone screen. Xue Yuejia froze. There in the comments, she saw someone refer to her as "Xia Xi".

She casually followed Xia Chuan's sister's account then turned her screen off. Her face spelled relief.

Since she found no further clues after that, Xue Yuejia spent the days after that squatting in front of the apartment complex. She had even familiarized herself with the faces of the guards. She had never worked this hard before when she was in Korea. After gritting her teeth and going through this ordeal for half a month, she finally saw the three of them leaving the house at the same time, with someone else following them from behind. That person, wrapped in even more layers than she was, looked just like Xia Chuan.