Chapter 36

"Don't worry, Mom. My three roommates won't be going home during the winter break this year. We'll be celebrating the New Year in the apartment we rented. It'll be lively." Xia Chuan held up his phone with one hand and rubbed his waist with the other. Life wasn't as convenient since his stomach grew bigger. Just standing for a while to talk on the phone was already enough to make his hip feel sore.

Mother Xia's loud voice was being transmitted from the speaker, which could be heard clearly even from a few meters away as if he had his loudspeaker turned on. Hand getting tired, Xia Chuan swapped the phone over to his other hand and continued listening to his mother's nagging. Silently, someone came up from behind him and touched his waist, massaging the sore spot with just the right amount of force.

"You boys better remember to eat some good food for New Year's Eve. Also, it's getting cold, so make sure to dress warmly...Alright now, there's nothing more for me to say. It's been a while since your little sister has seen you as well, let me put her on." Xia Chuan rubbed his ear that was growing hot from the phone. When he placed his ear on the speaker again, the voice on the other side had already changed to Xia Xi's. "Bro, Ma says you're not coming home this winter? Not even for New Year's Eve?"

"Yeah. We're going to have our judicial examinations during the latter half of this year so a lot of the students are staying behind in school to study. I'm also thinking of taking advantage of the holidays to study up."

"Seriously, Bro?" His sister was so surprised that even her tone changed. "Were you that kinda guy? Who was the one who told me that it didn't matter whether he passed the exam or not?"

"Ahem..." Xia Chuan cleared his throat awkwardly. That was in fact what he, the uninspired waste at the bottom of the school, had always thought. Xia Xi was a weird girl, and she also knew him exceptionally well. There's no saying she might have already realized that him talking about studying was just an excuse to not return home. While he was worrying over how he was going to patch out his lie, Su Ming grabbed the phone from behind him. "Hey, Xiao Yi? It's me, Big Brother Su Ming. Remember me?"

It would be strange if she didn't remember, Xia Chuan thought to himself. That erotic novel that Xia Xi wrote would still appear in front of him from time to time.

The voice on the other side sounded quite excited. She had probably gained some new creative inspiration again.

Su Ming had a quick chat with her and was able to pull the wool over her eyes quite easily. He'd told her that Xia Chuan had made up his mind on becoming a new man and that they were all helping to tutor Xia Chuan. In the end, he even hit her with a critical "how about Xiao Yi's final exam?", which quickly left a palpable psychological shadow in the mind of the third-year high school student, Xia Xi. After just a few perfunctory answers, she hung up.

Xia Chuan was also dumbfounded by Su Ming at the side. "Wow, your eyes don't even blink when you're lying."

"Then, are you going to reward me?" Su Ming leaned closer, his hot breath brushing against Xia Chuan's cheek. A numb and tingly feeling quickly spread across his skin like a wildfire. When the two of them were only a fraction of a centimeter apart, Su Ming suddenly stopped. He was looking at Xia Chuan eagerly as if he were waiting for something. Xia Chuan thought he had thick skin, but at this moment, he was red all the way down to his neck. He didn't even dare to look Su Ming in the eyes. After steeling himself, he grits his teeth and pressed his lips over.

Both of their lips met with a lukewarm surface at the same time. It felt soft, but the feeling was vastly different from their imagination.

Shang Yuzhong pulled out his hand from between the two of them and wiped the back of his hand that was touched by Su Ming with disgust on his clothes. Then, he dragged Xia Chuan away and asked, seeming wronged. "My dear wifey, did you see the Hulunbuir Grasslands[2] on my head yet?"