11 | Quiet Compassion

❦ 𝐆 𝐈 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀

I settle on the couch, watching TV as my mother chats loudly with her sister about my love life in the kitchen. Their laughter reverberates, prompting me to retreat to my room to finish watching the movie.

A text interrupts my solitude, and my heart leaps as I see it's from Dominic, only to quickly mask the smile realizing its presence.

Dominic: What're you doing?

Me: About to watch TV.

Dominic: You're not going to ask me what I'm doing?

Me: What are you doing, Dominic?

Dominic: Planning our wedding.

Me: Without me?

Dominic: Does that mean you'll actually marry me?

Me: Only in your dreams.

Dominic: You're hurting my heart, Tesoro.

Me: Oh! I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had one.

Dominic: You got jokes, huh? ok.

Me: Guess so.

Dominic: Let's hang out later. We'll have to meet with my family again sooner or later, and right now, you seem like you want to kill me every time you look at me. So, how about we pretend to be normal on a date and practice for when we face them again?

Me: Okay.

Dominic: That's it? You're not going to argue?

Me: What's the point?

Dominic: You're right. I'll see you in an hour, Tesero.

An hour?

I rush to the bathroom, quickly preparing myself. After that I fix my hair and makeup. Then, I swiftly put on my outfit.

As I'm about to leave, my phone rings, and I ignore the call when I see it's from Abigail.

An hour later

An hour later

Dominic and I are now at an ice skating rink, navigating the frosty expanse with an agreement to put our differences on hold for the sake of this festive outing.

Dominic extended his hand to me, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Ready to see if you can handle the ice, Tesero?"

I smirk, accepting his hand. "Handle it? I'll conquer it."

We step onto the ice, and laughter, mixed with a touch of sarcasm, fills the air as we find our balance. Dominic's grip provides reluctant support, allowing me to glide with some semblance of dignity.

"You're not falling, Tesero. Impressive," Dominic remarks, a hint of surprise in his voice.

I smirk. "Perhaps I've been keeping my hidden ice-skating skills under wraps." He nods.

"So, Dominic, is this your subtle way of becoming a winter wonderland matchmaker, arranging outings for your 'fake' fiancée?" I tease, a small smile playing on my lips.

Dominic twirls me, and our laughter mingles with the music. "Maybe I just have a soft spot for ice-skating."

"Soft spot or not, you seem oddly comfortable in this festive setting," I observe, challenging his nonchalant demeanor.

He smirks, twirling me once more. "Well, I did promise to help you every time you fall. Wouldn't want you getting injured right before our wedding."

I chuckle, finding unexpected amusement in our banter. "And here I thought you were just trying to thaw your icy heart."

Dominic's expression shifts, a glimmer of something genuine crossing his face. "Maybe I've underestimated the holiday magic," he muses.

Our skates cut through the ice, carving a makeshift path of camaraderie. As the music swirls around us, I can't help but wonder if there's more to this charade than meets the eye.

After our time at the ice skating rink, Dominic and I drive through the city. The fancy Christmas lights start to fade as we enter neighborhoods that don't have as much sparkle. Dominic notices a small community center with a sign that says, "Christmas Dinner for All." It seems like they're struggling.

He slows down, looking concerned. "Gianna, you ever seen this place before?" he asks.

I glance at it and shake my head. "No, what's up?"

"It looks like they need help," Dominic says, looking at the community center. "Let's go check it out."

We approach and see that things aren't going so well inside. The tables are almost empty, and the volunteers seem tired.

"I think we can do something about this," Dominic tells me.

"How?" I ask.

"Let's get them some food for a proper Christmas feast. I know a nearby grocery store," he suggests.

We make a detour, and Dominic fills up the cart with food including fresh fruits, holiday ingredients, and even some desserts.

Back at the community center, the volunteers are surprised and grateful. Dominic says, "This is from us. Merry Christmas, everyone."

The kitchen comes alive as the donated food turns into a nice Christmas spread. Dominic and I join in, working with the volunteers. Laughter and the smell of good food fill the air.

The transformed community center now looks festive. Tables are decorated, and the smell of a tasty Christmas dinner makes it feel like a holiday.

Standing there with Dominic, our eyes meet, and we share a silent understanding. Sometimes, kindness can bring people closer, even if they started off as enemies.

As Dominic helps a homeless old man, his phone rings, altering his mood when he answers it. He swiftly apologizes to the volunteers before making his way to me. "We need to leave, Tesero."

"What's wrong?" I ask, the smile on my face fading as I notice the worried look on his face.

"My father called. He mentioned having an important announcement," he clarifies.

"Is that bad?"

"I don't know but we'll find out soon enough."