8 | Sudden Distraction

❦ 𝐆 𝐈 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀

"Coming!" I say to my mom as I hastily make my way to the door.

"Who is it?" Dominic asks, a hint of concern in his voice.

"It's my mom. I didn't expect her to get here this early," I hurriedly inform him.

"Is it okay if she sees me here?" He asks, uncertainty etched on his face.

"I guess," I respond, feeling a mix of emotions.

I open the door to find my mom with her suitcase. Her eyes light up when she sees me, and she jumps into a hug. I hug her, feeling the warmth of her presence after a long time.

"Manman, I thought you were supposed to come tomorrow." I tell her.

"I wanted to surprise you. Your brother can't stay long, so we thought we'd come earlier," she explains with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Where is he?" I ask, realizing it's just her.

"With his wife. They're staying at a hotel instead," she reveals, and I nod, absorbing the information.

"Who is this?" She asks, pointing at Dominic.

"Um-" I start, unsure how to introduce him.

"Her boyfriend. It's nice to meet you, ma'am," Dominic smoothly interjects, offering a warm smile.

"Marco?" She asks, her eyebrows raised in surprise.

"No. This is Dominic," I introduce her.

"I thought Marco was your boyfriend?" She asks, her curiosity evident.

"He was, but we broke up," I explain, hoping to avoid a detailed conversation.

"You move on fast," she comments, not bothering to lower her voice, adding a touch of humor to the situation.

"Mama," I chide her playfully, rolling my eyes.

"I'm going to leave you guys to it," Dominic says, waving goodbye with a friendly smile before stepping away.

...

The next day, I find myself standing in front of the campus talking to a classmate, Michael. "Did you catch that lecture today? The professor was all over the place," he asks.

"Honestly, no, but it might have to do with the fact that I've had a lot to worry about back at home," I respond, acknowledging the ongoing challenges in my personal life.

"What's wrong, Gia?" He asks, his concern genuine as he steps closer toward me. I look up at him, appreciating his concern for me.

"My mom's here visiting. You know how she is. I love her, but she can be annoying sometimes," I confess, sharing a glimpse of my family dynamics.

"Oh, shit. Does she know you and Marco broke up?" Michael asks, reacting to the news.

"Yeah," I reply, acknowledging the recent changes in my relationship status.

"Honestly, I'm glad you two broke up. He didn't deserve you," Michael states, offering a supportive perspective on my past relationship.

"I couldn't agree more," a deep voice adds from behind him.

I look to see Dominic. He is wearing a casual outfit. A a black leather jacket that fits well, a gray Henley shirt, and black jeans. His jeans gives off a tough vibe. But what really stands out are his tattoos when he removes the jacket. They cover his arms and add an interesting touch to his look. The dark patterns on his skin tell a story. Dominic's tattoos, combined with his strong jawline and intense eyes, make him look intriguing and attractive.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, surprised to see him on my campus, the academic setting quite different from his usual environments.

Dominic walks toward me, pulling me close and wrapping his hand around my shoulder. He then kisses my head, a gesture that catches me off guard. "Who are you?" He asks Michael, making his presence known.

"Gia's friend. Who are you?" Michael asks, visibly confused.

"Her fiancée," Dominic responds confidently, introducing himself with an air of assurance.

"What?" Michael asks, surprised by the unexpected revelation.

"He's lying," I quickly interject, attempting to clarify the situation before it gets further complicated. I grab Dominic's wrist, leading him away from the curious onlookers.

"What are you doing here?" I question him once we find a more secluded spot.

"Picking up my future wife. Who was that boy?" Dominic inquires, displaying a hint of possessiveness.

"My classmate. Dominic, you can't come to my school. This is my private time," I explain, emphasizing the need for boundaries.

"Is that why you haven't told anyone about us?" Dominic questions, delving into the complexities of our unconventional relationship.

"There is no 'us'! We're only pretending in front of your family," I assert, highlighting the facade we've created.

"Tesero, I explained to you days ago you are mine, and I don't share. Do not make me hurt someone because of you," Dominic warns, reaching to fix a strand of hair on my face, an unsettling display of control.

"What?" I question, bewildered by the sudden shift in demeanor.

"You heard me," he states, leading me to the front of his car with a determined stride.

"I'm not going anywhere with you," I assert.

"Why not?" Dominic questions, his tone a mix of frustration and determination.

"I already told you. I don't want people to think we're together."

"But we are together."

"Dominic, my friend Abigail did some research on you. Apparently, your family is rich and famous. And you guys are involved in some shady things. Listen, I just don't want to get caught up in your drama."

"Too late. Now get inside the car before I do it myself," he says, opening the door for me. I slide in, and he follows, leaning over to put my seatbelt on. His cologne lingers in the air.

"Where are we headed?" I inquire, my gaze shifting between the passing city lights as he starts to drive.

"To my apartment," he responds, the soft hum of the engine and the ambient glow from the dashboard creating an atmosphere of anticipation in the car.

"Why?" I question, and he accelerates the car, making me hastily grab onto the plush armrest for support.

"Slow down!" I yell, and he chuckles darkly.

"I'm not even going that fast," he reassures, his fingers effortlessly gliding over the sleek surface of the steering wheel.

"Can you answer my question?" I press, my eyes narrowing as I study his enigmatic expression.

"What question?" he asks, a subtle smirk playing on his lips, adding an air of mystery to his response.

"Why. Are. We. Going. To. Your. Apartment?" I ask, pausing after each word.

"Oh, that-so you can get to know me better. It would be weird if you've never been to your man's place."

"Haven't we already done that?"

"We got interrupted by that woman you call your friend."

"What's your problem with Abigail? She's so nice!" I tell him. He laughs, leaving me even more confused.

"Nothing for now," he simply responds.

For now?