Minji - I Don't Think That I Like Her

"Y/N oppa! How are things going between you and Minji unnie?"

"Things are going great between us actually! We just went on a date to Everland over the weekend!"

The sound of Y/N Song's livestream filled Minji's eardrums as she made her way back to Newjean's dorm, her earbuds blocking out the outside world as she watched her boyfriend answer his fans' questions.

The two of them started dating last year, with Ador and Dreamcatcher Company quickly confirming their relationship. They were high school sweethearts, ending up working in the world of K-pop: Minji as a member of NewJeans, and Y/N as Happyface's only Male K-rock soloist.

Their relationship, like many other things in the world of K-pop, were subject to the scrutiny of the world, where fans that supported them and anti-fans ran rampant. Deep down, Minji was always worried: Y/N was the one who asked her out, the breakout star from Dreamcatcher Company was always subjected to more opinions from the public. Comments and allegations that he dated Minji as a ploy for publicity were not uncommon, but were always dealt with by their companies in a timely matter. Still, she couldn't help but wonder if Y/N was truly okay.

The young girl sighed, looking out of the window as Han River flashed by, the livestream still playing.

"Y/N oppa, is there a song that you would use to describe you and Minji unnie's relationship?"

Minji's eyes swiveled to her screen, where Y/N was leaning back, running a hand through his hair, the hair that Minji enjoyed patting when they were alone, and he was taking a nap on her lap.

"Well, the song I would use to describe it is an English song," Y/N began, Minji listened, waiting to see what song her boyfriend was going to bring up. "The song is by Charlie Puth, and it's called 'I Don't Think That I Like Her'-"

Hearing this, Minji could not hear the sound of Y/N's voice going on in the live stream, the only thing she felt were her tears falling drop by drop from her eyes onto her lap. Angrily turning off her phone and pulling off her earbuds, she tried to hide her emotions behind a neutral expression, haphazardly replying to her manager that she was fine, although her heart was shattered into a million pieces.

What came next felt like a blur to Minji, her getting back to the dorm, her members calling for her as she shuffled her way into her room, trying to hide her tears.

The next morning, Minji woke up, bleary-eyed. Fumbling around her bed, she reached for her phone and saw a long list of unread message notifications, all from Y/N. With tears threatening to fall again, she left her phone in bed and went to grab her breakfast.

In the kitchen, the rest of her members were having breakfast whilst Hyein worked on her homework. All of them noticed Minji's red puffy eyes, and immediately, they all crowded around her.

"Minji-ah, what happened to you?" "Are you feeling okay unnie?" Hanni and Hyein asked at the same time, overwhelming Minji and causing her to burst into another round of tears.

Hugging her from the side, Danielle put two and two together.

"Did something happen between you and Y/N oppa, unnie?" Danielle asked, patting the older girl on her back as they all moved to the living room.

Hiccuping a bit from her crying, Minji recalled what happened on her way home, how she watched Y/N's live stream, how he answered the question about the song, her immediate reaction knowing that the song talked about a boy who's finding that their relationship was not working out.

As Hanni, Danielle, and Hyein tried to comfort Minji, Haerin got about searching on YouTube for Y/N's livestream highlights. And after a few minutes of watching, she let out a loud gasp that caught the other members' attention.

"Minji unnie! Y/N oppa didn't mean that he didn't like you!" she exclaimed, passing her iPad to the other members, "watch!"

'Y/N oppa, is there a song that you would use to describe you and Minji unnie's relationship?'

'Well, the song I would use to describe it is an English song. The song is by Charlie Puth, and it's called 'I Don't Think That I Like Her'. But I don't interpret it in the way of a breakup, I look at it in terms of a person starting with hesitation, wanting to see where we will go. And the lyrics go "I don't think that I like her anymore", but all of me wants to say that it's more than like. After like, it's love. So, what I'm trying to say is: I love you Kim Minji!'

As they watched Y/N in the video move on to other questions, all eyes were now on Minji. She herself was shocked, and ashamed that she had overreacted to something that she didn't know in full.

What happened next to Minji was a haze: one moment she was at the Newjeans dorms in her pyjamas, and the next moment she was outside of Y/N's apartment, anxiously pressing the doorbell.

After a few seconds, a rather bewildered Y/N, with his hair sticking up in all directions, opened the door.

"Min! What are you doin-" he was interrupted by Minji dashing into him, hugging him tightly as he led the two of them into his apartment.

"'I Don't Think That I Like Her', really? Oppa you could've used any other song to describe our relationship but you used a supposed break-up song?" Minji said, wiping a fake tear with her sweater sleeve as her doe-like eyes bore into Y/N's. "You're lucky Haerin cleared things up for you otherwise I would've broken up with you." she playfully said, holding onto Y/N's hands, leaning onto his chest.

"I'm sorry Min-ah," Y/N apologized, taking a seat on his couch, with Minji following suit, automatically resting her head on his shoulder. "I didn't think about it when I said it, but I was thinking about that one time we were on our favourite date, you know, that dog cafe, when I heard it playing and I saw you being so happy with the dogs, I-" Y/N's little ramble was cut short by a swift kiss by Minji, silencing him.

"You don't need to explain yourself mister," Minji laughed, hugging Y/N like he was a bigger version of Potato Kim, her teddy bear. "Cause the feelings are mutual."

Chuckling, Y/N got up to make breakfast for both him and Minji. And as he waited for his toast to be toasted, he looked at Minji, who was sitting on one of the stools next to the kitchen island, and decided to ask her a question.

"Min-ah," Y/N began, looking at Minji, whose attention was now on Y/N. "What song would you use to describe our relationship?"

With a knowing smile, Minji gave him her answer.

"The song that I would use to describe our relationship is... I Don't Think That I Like Her."

A/N: Keen (?) readers may note that this is slightly different than my usual works, and you would be correct

This is a separate universe (?) from where in Newjeans, Danielle is the one in a relationship (as alluded to in 'moments inbetween' and my Halloween special chapter 😉