Danielle - the little mermaid

A/N: not really inspired by any song in particular but was listening to way back home (version with Conor Maynard) when writing. 

Y/N POV

'Another day...' I sigh, thinking to myself as I listen to my professor drone on about the importance of  Staphylococcus aureus in microbiology, 'as if I didn't know that from my review of the weekly material last night.'

Placing my head on my left hand, l look out the lecture hall to see the beautiful May sunshine shining through the glass windows.

The sunlight got me thinking about the times I spent on the beach close to my home as a kid, always frolicking in the summer sunlight, and meeting a friend of mine. I remember she was always swimming at the seaside. I used to spend lots of time having fun with her, swimming in the sea, looking for interesting looking seashells, and just telling her a lot about my daily life. But weirdly enough, she found many trivial things to be unbelievably fascinating. We spent the full day talking about cooking, or well, more like me explaining the concept of cooking to her.

As I try to remember more details about this friend, there was one thing that puzzled me: I recall that she had a fishtail instead of legs?

"I must be daydreaming..." I whisper to myself, "There's no way I was friends with a mermaid, they don't exist in real life..." I must be mixing up my reality and my dreams, cause mermaids don't exist in real life, right?

As class ended in the late afternoon for me, and there was a while before dinner, I decided to take a walk down memory lane and go to the seaside where I spent most of my childhood.

Sitting down at the pier, I couldn't help but reminisce a memory from my childhood with that friend of mine.

(flashback)

"Hey Y/N!"
"Hey Danielle!" I greet my friend as I jogged towards the pier, where she was already in the water waiting for me. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting long!"

"It's okay! It doesn't take me long to get here anyways!" she says, smiling brightly at me. "So where should we go explore today?" she asks me, looking expectedly at me.

"I heard from my grandparents that there's an old cave where pirates used to hide in the old times, let's try and find it!"

"It's on! Try to catch up!"
"It's not fair that you have a tail and I have two legs. I can't swim as fast as you!"

(Present)
"Again, why do I remember that she has a tail? That can't be right?" I mutter to myself as I take a sip of my strawberry smoothie. Hearing my ringtone from my phone, I look down to see that my sister's calling, to which I pick up

"Hello?" her voice barely audible as the sound of the sea surrounds me.
"Yes Minji what do you want?"
"Just want to know when you're coming home! I need to cook dinner for the both of us, you know." I hear her closing something, which I assume was the fridge.
"I'll be back around the usual time. You need me to pick up anything later?"
She didn't immediately reply, taking a few seconds before responding.
"Nothing I can think of right now, I'll let you know if there's anything I need."
"See you later then."
"See ya."

Just as I was about to hang up, I remembered something that I wanted to ask her,

"Minji?"
"What?"
"Do you remember if I had a friend called Danielle in the past?"
A moment of silence followed after that.
"I think you did, but you said that she left to study abroad or something?"
"Did I?" I exclaim, surprised.
"You did. If there's nothing else you want to ask I'll hang up for now. See ya later at home little brother."
"See ya sis."