•|Ahl-e-dil|•3

2 weeks later.

"Fariya, join us for lunch! Com'n!" Nawal, one of her colleagues insisted. She held her arm and shook her out of the world of computers. Fariya smiled faintly at her, one which Nawal knew would be thrown her way.

"My treat" She gleams excitedly. Nawal doesn't know the exact reason for her hesitation, because Fariya has kept all her secrets to herself. But she knew there was something wrong. And so she insisted.

"No," Fariya told sharply. Her heart dropped at the thought of Nawal knowing her condition and taking pity on her. She would rather starve to death than be pitied by someone. She alone is responsible for herself and hell will freeze before she asks for help.

"Fariya... I'm getting married soon. And I'm giving a treat to everyone. Are you going to upset me like this?" Nawal's brown colored eyes held sadness and Fariya couldn't see her sad. So she sighed helplessly.

"Alright..." She slowly got up from her seat and stretched her limbs. Sitting 5 hours in the same position she was sure she would be disfigured.

Nawal grinned at her and held her elbow, dragging her out to the cafeteria. "Not that you will ever ask me, but I'm marrying Atif, the HR "

Fariya's eyes widened. "Really?"

"Yes..." Nawal blushed, looking down at her feet.

"Wow! I'm happy for you. Atif sir is a good person" Fariya smiled heartily, genuine happiness across her face.

Nawal stared at the girl in awe, her jaw dropped. "You smile too?"

Fariya immediately stopped smiling, looking away awkwardly.

"Oh my god. This is the first time I've seen you smile! " Nawal gushed excitedly, making Fariya even more uncomfortable.

"Fariya... " She held her hand before they sat on the table. Fariya looked at her.

"You should smile more. You have a beautiful smile" Fariya pulled her hand away from her grasp and sat down. Nawal stared at her confused. This isn't the first time Fariya has rejected any casual conversations. Always reserved, quiet, and a workaholic. She never interacted other than for professional needs.

Before Nawal could ask her, Fariya's phone went off. She hurriedly pulled out her phone and her face slightly morphed in fear.

"Who is-" Nawal started.

"I need to take this!" Fariya left the cafeteria sprinting, while Nawal was left flabbergasted.

"Maami?" Fariya's voice was laced with anticipation.

"Get back to the house, now!" All the color on her face faded when Fariya heard her venomous voice. It was filled with so much hatred that her breath caught in her throat. The line went dead but she still clutched her phone to her ear, her brain raising hell at the possibility of asking her to come home.

Hunger vanished into thin air. And her body involuntarily trembling. She didn't need this. She can't.

With fumbling fingers, she collected her things and took a half day's leave to her manager. The man could say much looking at her face, which seemed like she had seen a ghost.

•••

Fariya stood in front of her Aunt, her cousin, with her eyes glued to the ground. The moment she stepped into the house, Aasiya begum demanded to see her.

Sania had a torn expression on her face as if her heart was crumbling and she couldn't fathom the healing of its pain. Her clear brown eyes held pure hurt from betrayal. She felt like she had been fooled for her life.