Who is This Alpha?

Start from the beginning

Kieran opened his mouth. His fangs oozed pheromone venom, dripping clear liquid down his chin and chest. From what Teru remembered and experienced, it was like a drug to the prey while-

He gasped, which sounded strangled because of the pressure on his throat. "You can't...drink."

Kieran didn't say a word, not even a groan or rumble from his chest. Unresponsive. Robotic. There was no communication.

"Pups," Teru croaked, scared. "No drinking blood...with pups."

His fangs poked through the skin. Suddenly, all the features on Kieran's face were gone like a blank slate-

Teru's eyes opened, breathing laborious and raspy. The scenery had changed. It was already sunset. He wasn't on his knees anymore, but being spooned by Kieran on the soft grass.

"Little one," his mate comforted, using a small towel to wipe the sweat from Teru's face and neck. "You're fine. You're okay. Breathe."

Teru rolled onto his back to stare at the cloudless evening sky, utterly confused. Wasn't Kieran on top just now? Breeding him? No, that wasn't Kieran. Where did his face go before biting him?

His hand flew to his throat, feeling no holes to prove he had his blood sucked. He wiggled his butt, sensing no soreness. And clothes! Teru was wearing his last outfit from the duffel bag.

"Ah," he panicked, touching his bump. Were they alive after having sex so roughly? "K-Kieran, can you check? Oh, heavens. Are they hurt?"

Kieran sat up and looked at him, eyebrows furrowed. "We didn't have sex. You fell asleep after biting my wrist."

Teru saw him properly. His hair was a mess, he stunk of sweat, and shirtless. The most noticeable thing was his eyes, exhausted with dark bags under them. Even his cheeks were slightly gaunt. You would never think he was a prince living in luxury.

I've never seen him like this before.

Teru got up, too, putting a hand on Kieran's arm. The mark on his wrist was healed. "If I slept after that, then you never went feral on me for challenging you?"

"Challenge-?" Kieran asked incredulously. He placed a hand on his. "No, Teru. I could tell when you bit me that your inner omega was trying to rile me up. I almost lost, but I wouldn't let my sudden urge to rut be influenced."

"So it was a nightmare? The way you held me down and choked me from behind?"

"Heavens, Teru." Kieran's face darkened.

That whole thing was a dream.

"Shit," Teru sighed in relief, rubbing his stomach. "What happened to us? Actually, what happened to you?"

Kieran looked at the river. He was hesitating.

"What? What is it?"

His mate reached beside him and held up a black tar-covered feather that was the length of his arm. "I found this down the stream when I was trying to make my out-of-season rut disappear. It was safer to keep a distance from you, my omega who was having a minor heat."

Teru instantly recognized it. "That's-"

Abaddon.

"It appears my mother isn't the only one wanting to fuck with us. The locust buzzing we heard. This feather. Perhaps he wants us to know his presence can still be felt. Maybe he wanted to hinder our journey by somehow forcing our bodies to breed. Abaddon is physically not here, but he is still a heavenly being with power we do not understand. Honestly, little one, I don't know."

Kieran tossed the feather aside. He was tired, rubbing his eyes. "It was hell trying to calm myself before returning to your side."

"How did you do it?"

His alpha didn't answer, not wanting to say. It must have been bad, especially for him to be so unkempt. He didn't even appear this messy when he was feasting on his own arm in the bunker!

Instead, Kieran lay on his side, putting his head against Teru's belly. A rumble vibrated his chest. He listened sleepily.

He isn't panicking. I guess the pups are healthy.

As the late afternoon passed, Teru stroked Kieran's hair. He found himself purring, too. They were both worn out.

Kieran flinched.

"What?" the omega asked, alarmed.

"You're hungry."

"I am kinda, yeah."

"After I find you food, we must keep moving tonight. We lost almost a whole day because of Abaddon."

"I agree," Teru nodded.

When Kieran went out to hunt for his mate, reminiscing about today's events angered him.

Abaddon, that bastard..., the furious human thought.