Abaddon's Army: Part 1

Teru howled before shifting back.

It really freaking hurt. Though much faster than the previous two times, his altering body felt the full throng of bones and muscles reshaping in a matter of minutes. Damn, was it going to be like this every time he switched from wolf to human? He'd rather not turn at all. He should ask Tae-soo if-

I can't ask him. I can't sense him, either, or any of them, at all. Are they okay? They were supposed to stay close by.

The shelter his wolf found was unfamiliar and smelled like an alpha had stayed there recently. Teru writhed on the floor. The last strands of black fur disappeared from his legs. Beads of sweat tickled down his back. His face ached where Abaddon punched him.

Am I bleeding? Teru gingerly touched the swelling next to his eye. Maybe not.

While catching his breath, Teru curled into a ball, trying to put his bare legs to his chest. Whenever he was sick, this was his preferred position to get rid of any nausea or dizzy spells. His little bump wouldn't let him. He put a hand on his belly, fretting about the recent strain he had put on himself.

There's no way my babies are okay after that, Teru thought anxiously, blinded by paranoia that was likely triggered by hormones. What if I lose them?

The building shook again, dust falling around him. The decor and lamps rattled off the tables, shattering into pieces. Teru was more worried about the pups than his own safety. He knew he should get up but...it was so hard. Everything was so hard right now.

His nape tingled, letting him know his mate wasn't far. Being dead just hours before to knowing he was on the way was such a relieving feeling; the best feeling.

Kieran! he called out telepathically. Hopefully, Kieran could sense his desperation to hurry. Teru clenched his eyes tight. The ground shook more violently. The pipes within the walls groaned and burst. It was so loud outside. His breathing quickened, getting shorter and difficult with every inhale. This was a nightmare. I want my alpha. I want my alpha. I want my alpha-

A cold, soothing hand touched Teru's forehead. The mint scent immediately calmed his labored breaths and racing heartbeat. Another hand rested on top of Teru's, where he held his bump to protect it from the rain of ceiling flakes. Kieran.

The vampire leaned over him to stop the dust and paint chips from falling onto Teru's naked body, landing on Kieran instead. Teru opened his eyes and stared up, observing Pride's features and the ruby iris color.

His eyes are red again. I can give him more blood-

"No," Kieran told him just as the earthquake stopped. The room was still while the streets were chaotic with panicking people and smoke.

"No, what?"

"I know what you want me to do. No, I will not drink from you."

A sudden surge of anger made Teru growl, not meaning to actually growl out loud. The anger quickly left, followed by sadness. Tears welled up, sticking to his eyelashes. "Is my blood not good anymore?"

Kieran was taken aback. He caressed Teru's cheek to catch a stray tear. "What? That's not what I-"

"It's really gross, right? Is it because I'm a werewolf? Did it change the taste?" Teru was this close to bawling like a child, literally for no reason.

"Shh," Kieran gently shushed him. He reached over and yanked the white bedsheet off the bed, wrapping it around Teru before cradling him. "That will never be the reason. What sort of alpha would I be if I took your blood in your state? In my state, too?"

Teru looked at his monstrous fangs protruding from his mouth. The thickness of those piercing his throat would bleed him out for sure. Why am I being so irrational right now? It's not like me.

Knowing Teru understood his reasoning, Kieran told him, "We must go. This hotel isn't safe."

Teru noticed they were in a formal bedroom with a bed, TV, refrigerator, several small tables, and a door leading to a bathroom. Wide cracks zigzagged across the walls, which were bowing and struggling to support the upper floors. Kieran was right. This place would cave in any second. He couldn't believe he had hidden in such a dangerous place! His memories after shifting weren't clear. Teru wanted to practice controlling his other form when he wasn't pregnant anymore.

But first, they needed to literally not die.

Kieran stood up with him in his arms to leave. An angry whine of metal and rushing water made Teru look up-

"OOF!" he gasped when his head whiplashed against his mate's chest. Kieran suddenly dashed forward with an insane speed Teru had never experienced before, faster than a car! The whine was now a roar of falling debris. Before he could finish blinking, they were outside. The mid-sized modern hotel crumbled in smoke and fire.

That could've been us in there!

The sheer chaos shocked him. It was much worse, worse than he could ever imagine.

Almost half of the city was in shambles. Fires blazed across the sunrise. The smoke was thick enough in the sky to resemble storm clouds. Cracks that were the width of several streets had split the ground; Kieran was doing his best to avoid not falling in. Bodies strewn every street. Some were intact, some were missing parts, some were breathing but barely alive, some were half-eaten with fleshless bones sticking out...What in the world could've done that?! Vampires didn't do that to their prey!

Kieran paused at a corner and examined a major four-way intersection, determining where they should go next. It seemed they were getting farther away from the ocean and nearer to the outer ruins.

Teru saw movement. A human about the same age as himself saw Teru and‌ croaked, "Help me."

Teru could not, knowing the beta was as good as dead. A majority of his body was burned to a crisp, blackened skin peeling off to reveal bloodied tissue layers underneath. Plus, did he not realize half of his torso was missing?! A pile of charred intestines trailed next to his body. They left him there.

"I-I-I-," Teru stuttered, lips trembling. His alpha put his hand over Teru's wide eyes to stop him from seeing the bloodbath.

An enormous lightning bolt branched into a thousand streaks, making his body hair stand from the electricity crackling in the air.

BOOM!

Another earthquake began. It rattled his vision. The road flexed, bending inward into another fissure under Kieran's feet.