The Original Scent

KNOCK. KNOCK. KNOCK.

Teru buried his face in the pillow when he heard the noise of someone at the door. It wasn't urgent like when Blaise barged in with the birthday streamers, but more 'Is anyone home? I can come another time' sort of knocking.

His eyes kept drooping shut. All he wanted to do was sleep; not from depression that would sometimes drag him into a suffocating hole. Rather, it was plain exhaustion, simple as that. The fetal position he was in helped alleviate the hotness around his lower half.

KNOCK. KNOCK. KNOCK.

Would Kieran answer the-oh, wait. His alpha left to retrieve his medicine. Teru stirred and sat up slowly, wiping the crusties from his eyes. Mint saturated the air. That did the trick to fully wake him.

Mint?

He crawled out of his nest and stood up, looking at the front entrance. These pheromones were Kieran's, but why was he knocking? It also didn't feel like his presence was there. Since he was sick, perhaps it was messing with his senses? The omega soundlessly walked over there until his ear pressed against the soundproof door. As expected, he couldn't hear a thing. It was useless. He would have to be a vampire with impeccable hearing to detect anything through the military-grade barrier.

The mint pheromones were getting stronger. Did this mean to let him in? Teru reached out and turned the handle. It was jammed. Kieran was stuck, then!

"Let's push down together, okay?" Teru said. He knew Kieran could hear him. With both hands, he put his full weight on the lever. It should definitely open with a vampire and a little extra help from a human. After a few tries, there was a loud click.

Teru pulled it open and smiled. "We did it-"

He stopped in his tracks, muscles tensing up. His hand twitched out of panic because it wanted to slam the door shut.

Except, Teru didn't have a death wish to do that.

The queen, only a few paces away, looked down at him with an expressionless face. His mouth gaped open, but his tongue wouldn't form words. The last time they saw each other was at the meeting, which ended horribly. Though she didn't lift a finger to help him when Tristian went insane, the queen told him the way to Dr. Charles when he was lost.

I don't think she's an enemy...right? I shouldn't let my guard down. She married Abaddon.

"May I come in?" she interrupted his conflicting thoughts. Her voice was soft and inquiring, not at all like the vampires who hissed with bad intentions toward him.

"Oh, uh," he stuttered. Keiran would be angry when he finds out she was here. It wasn't like Teru had a choice. She was the freaking monarch who could order his execution at the snap of her fingers, so why was she asking for permission?

"Sorry, er, yes. Um," Teru glanced down at his pajamas-satin pants and an oversized black T-shirt he 'borrowed' from Kieran's closet. He was dressed too informally for someone like her!

"Then, pardon the interruption." Queen Lilith went into the penthouse with a graceful posture, cream-colored heels somehow silent when she walked. Her silky, thin white dress dragged behind her. Not even dirt would dare to dirty her garments as it brushed over the ground. Today, her chestnut brown hair was intricately braided with pink pearls dotting the strands. He couldn't help but stare at her distinctive facial traits that made him, a bonded omega, admire. Gosh, this family's genetics were insane!

Kieran's mother helped herself to the loveseat sofa, eyeing the decor and pile of discarded clothes-the clothes they abandoned when they had sex in front of the balcony doors. Teru freaked, slammed the door, and rushed over to gather the pervertedly stained trousers and underwear. He didn't know what to do with them in the heat of the moment, so he frantically tossed them in the kitchen's trashcan.