Bath Time

Teru swiped the tray of food off the table. It fell to the floor, scattering food everywhere. The maid, a beta woman with a yellow collar, gasped at the loud clang. For a second, he felt guilty because he was making her job harder, but the sight of her collar color enraged him. She betrayed her pack, too, for comfort—for this messed up life.

He went back into his bed, covering himself with the blankets. Teru listened as she picked up his broken mess.

Still...what he'd done wasn't nice. Teru exhaled in defeat and kicked off the covers. He joined her by picking up the glass shards. A sharp piece sliced deeply into his pointer finger. A stream of blood oozed out from the small cut. It didn't faze him; he'd had more serious wounds.

The maid gasped and wrapped his hand with one of her hand towels. Dots of red soaked through the white material. She fetched the first aid kit. When Teru saw this, he waved his hand in protest. "I'm okay, really."

"Please, sir, let me do this." There was a sense of urgency in her tone.

He complied. Before wrapping a bandage on the cut, she squeezed his finger longer to stop the bleeding. Teru watched the blue sky through the window. The rooftops of the other skyscrapers were visible from this angle. "Where are we?"

"You mean you don't know?"

"I don't."

"We're in Avania's capital, New York City. Most of the city names never changed from Before. This building was erected by King Abaddon and Queen Lily. It's not a castle, per se, but it's the main headquarters of Avania. The laws that all vampires and humans must follow are created here."

"And Kieran? Who is he?"

"Just a resident of this place. You could say I work here," someone else answered. Kieran had just entered the bedroom, eyeing the mess. His nose smelled the air.

"Where are you bleeding?" His eyes zoned in on the stained towel. He turned his attention to the maid. "What did you do to him?" A wave of musky pheromones saturated the room.

Teru's inner omega stood at attention. He wanted to roll over and expose his neck to him. The maid shivered, also affected by the strong pheromones. Kieran's scent was potent enough to force her into submission. Only a dominant alpha could do this to a beta.

No wonder she wanted to hurry and treat him.

Kieran rushed over to Teru.

Is he going to hurt me? he thought, panicked.

The vampire grabbed Teru's wrist—not roughly, but firm enough that he couldn't pull away. Drops of blood flowed down from the cut.

Kieran automatically put Teru's finger into his hot mouth and sucked. His tongue wrapped around the digit, coating saliva on the minor gash. It stung at first, but the pain gradually went away. The long fangs grazed his skin, causing goosebumps to form on his arms. Those pointy canines were way too close for comfort.

Teru yanked his hand away. There was a POP noise when his finger came out of Kieran's mouth. A string of spit left his lips. A healed red line was all that remained. It would be gone by a day or two.

The man's crimson eyes shone. They had a hungry look to them that made Teru's legs weak. Whether he shook from fear or from some other primal emotion was uncertain.

Kieran wiped his mouth with a handkerchief. "You need to eat. You're nothing but skin and bones."

Teru didn't say a word. He looked away, not wanting to see the wasteful mess he had made.

"Little one, are you ignoring me?"

Yes, that was the plan. After a whole long minute of Kieran staring daggers into him, he grasped tightly onto Teru's forearm and forced him to walk. They headed towards a door that he hadn't explored yet.