Chapter 12 - Preparing For The Worse

Start from the beginning

I blinked in confusion. "What?"

She looked at me with a mischievous glint in her eyes. "I want another HOMU collection."

"But, Bronya-sama..."

"What's the matter? It's a humble offering to the great scholar."

"...Yes, ma'am."

There goes my entire savings, all for the pursuit of knowledge.

The two of us headed to the library, and while Bronya seemed pleased, my wallet was shedding tears of sorrow.

As we entered the library, we spotted Kiana and Mei studying together.

"Oh, Bronya-chan and Shin-kun? Are you two here to study too?" Mei asked looking at us.

"Yes, Mei-senpai," I said, shifting my attention to Kiana. "Looks like you're having fun."

"I'm not... My head hurts..." Kiana grumbled, clearly not enjoying the study session.

"Come on now, Kiana-chan, those are just some normal questions you can definitely solve," Mei encouraged her, but it seemed Kiana had a long way to go.

"Shin," Bronya called me, and we took our seats opposite Mei and Kiana.

Mei looked at us and smiled. "You two... aren't you always together?"

"Really?"

Kiana also looked up at us. "That's right! What's up with you two?"

"Nothing," I said, trying to play it cool.

"The Bronya would rather play than study since The Bronya can easily pass the test," Bronya added.

"How suspicious." Kiana stared at us.

"You know, Kiana-chan, if you have the energy to be suspicious of us, why don't you use that curiosity of yours to focus on that book," I suggested, glancing at Kiana.

"Hmph! I can easily pass this test!"

"Wow... Big words," I commented, opening the textbook.

"Enough, Shin, let's get studying," Bronya urged.

"R-Right..."

And so, the two of us began studying alongside Kiana and Mei.

We were reviewing the events related to the 1st and 2nd Honkai eruptions that occurred on January 1st, 1952, and February 1, 2000, respectively, including the Battle of New York and the defection of the American Branch of Schicksal as the Second Honkai War began.

Frankly, I didn't see the point of learning all this history (I was actually terrible at it), but it was essential for the upcoming exam.

As we delved deeper into our studies, a sudden curiosity struck me.

"Say... is this 1st Herrscher still alive?"

Bronya looked at me, tapping her chin in contemplation. "Hm, I do not know."

"...I see."

Just then, a figure entered the library. She had bluish-purplish hair, pale skin, and striking blue eyes.

"Geh... Class President."

"So, you two are studying, huh..." She glanced at Bronya and then turned to me, a slight smile on her face. "Are you Shin Watanabe?"

I nodded, "This is our first time meeting, but... my name is Shin Watanabe."

"I know that already." She smiled but then cleared her throat, adopting a more formal tone. "My name is Fu Hua. Nice to meet you, Shin."

"Likewise."

"So, what did you come here for?" Bronya asked.

"I came here because I want to duel him." She pointed at me.

I blinked in confusion, "Eh? Why? Why not Kiana or Mei-senpai?"

She shook her head, "No, I want you."

"Eh!?"

Bronya then interrupted, "I'm sorry, Class President, but as of right now, we are currently studying for an upcoming test."

"Hm? Then I'll teach him."

"I'm sorry, but The Bronya is already teaching Idiot Shin."

Fu Hua's gaze shifted between us, her expression unreadable. While Bronya is staring daggers at her.

"Alright, I'll accept."

"Shin." Bronya looked at me.

Bronya, I can guess that there's practical combat in the second phase of the test, so leave it to me."

"...Fine."

A small smile crept across my face. "Thanks."

"Great! I'll meet you at the arena."

"Yes, Class President."

She smiled and turned around leaving the library, leaving me bewildered and slightly nervous about the duel.