Chapter 15: Lawbreaker

Start from the beginning

"I said, which hand?" Levi growled, dark eyes manic with anger.

"What?"

Levi lost his patience and within a split second, Kepler's body was slammed to the ground. Levi towered over him, raising up his leg.

"Is it this one?" Levi asked and you watched in horror as he brought down his leg violently on Kepler's right hand. You heard bones crunching, and Kepler screaming in agony.

"Or is it that one?" Levi scowled, this time raising up his leg above Kepler's left arm.

"No, no! Please!" Kepler begged. Kepler opened his eyes and he gawked after properly getting a good look of his perpetrator. "Aren't you the infamous Captain Levi of the Scouts? W–what's someone like you doing down here?"

Levi put his leg aside for a moment, face contorted with disgust. Kepler began to breathe heavily, not expecting to come face to face with Captain Levi. "W–Why is someone like you going this far just for a mere woman," Kepler spat, clearly unhappy yet puzzled at the heavy beating he just got, only because he touched you a bit.

"Because you messed with someone you should've never messed with," Levi replied coldly to him. "I don't want lowlife bastards like you touching someone important to me with those filthy hands."

You involuntarily widened your eyes at Levi's words.

"Levi, stand down," you heard a familiar voice outside.

"Commander Erwin!" you exclaimed, surprised to see him here.

"This bastard touched her," Levi barked. This time, instead of breaking Kepler's left hand, he went to kick his face instead. You've heard about Levi's eye-watering, limb-breaking kicks, but to see it in person was a whole other thing. You winced at the sight of Kepler's limp right hand and battered jaw.

You heard another familiar voice call out your name and you whipped your head up, catching a familiar blond head and warm brown eyes. Your eyes almost watered at the sight of your best friend.

"Mario? What are you doing here?" you gaped.

"Getting you out of here, of course!" Mario ran to your side and quickly assessed your injuries. Behind him, you spotted Catarina and Gabriel, your recruits. Mario fiddled with a bunch of keys he grabbed from Kepler and unlocked your handcuffs.

"How did you know I was here?" you asked as you were slowly being led out of the cell by Mario. You looked around the exterior of the cell and it looked like you were in some underground centre for detainees. There were other cells in the dimly-lit hallway, but they were all empty. There's a small window on the upper wall, it looks like evening has fallen.

"Gabriel saw you getting carried out of the HQ, Catarina overheard that you and that MP were heading for Sina, and I had a feeling Johanne was behind this. Commander Erwin, well.. he has his ways," said Mario, his voice trembling a little with worry after seeing your bloodied form.

"What's the situation?" Erwin asked. "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay. They're going to take me in for questioning. I'm—" you hesitated, realising the possible implications of telling this to your Commander. "I'm.. guilty of illegal medical practice in the Underground, and.. illegal medical-grade drug smuggling as well," you averted your gaze in shame from Erwin, Levi, and Mario.

"We know," Erwin said, his voice sounding calm.

"What?" you stammered. "Then why—"

"But it seems like we arrived just in time," Levi muttered.

You heard the sound of a door closing and when you looked back, you made eye contact with Johanne who was standing at the entrance of the hall, gaping in shock.