Chapter 11: Crush

Start from the beginning

"Hey, I'm only telling this to you, Captain!" Mario cried. However, Mario was still not satisfied with his reaction. Being the perceptive and observant person he was, Mario already noticed your tension with the Captain ages ago, although you never admitted to it. He knew you were both in denial of your feelings. As your best friend, Mario already knew the history of your relationship with Luca and how you used to like each other, but never pursued a relationship. However, he wasn't going to reveal that to Levi. Your relationship with Luca was still your own story to tell. All he could do now was to inform Levi of Luca's feelings for you, giving him the push he needs.

"So obvious that he still likes her," Mario mutters, to which Levi responded with a hard finger flick to Mario's forehead.

"Stop yapping or I'll shove a boot in your mouth. How would you even know?"

"I–I mean isn't it obvious? Look at the way he's clinging on to her and looking at her," Mario whimpered, rubbing his forehead.

Levi looked at the two of you once again, who were happily chatting away. You, however, looked too chirpy and were laughing a little more than usual. Luca's hand that was previously on your shoulder, suddenly made its way down to your waist. Levi felt his blood boil and was so close to striding over to you both to give Luca his infamous kick.

He used to like you? And possibly still do?

Levi could not even begin to describe how he felt, seeing you with another man who can make you laugh harder than he ever could. A sick twisted feeling enveloped his gut and made him feel a little weak. He shouldn't have left you alone with him.

Levi was holding himself back from pulling you out of this damn party, but the final straw was when he saw Luca take you by the hand, and lead you away from the crowd into a secluded area.

Oh no you don't.

Behind the scene, Mario smirks and takes another bite of his lemon tart.

You were feeling a little bit giddy and you knew it was the alcohol talking. Have you always been this lightweight?

You spent the last twenty minutes catching up with Luca. It was difficult to not get reminded of Johanne as you were talking with him. After all, she had brought him up multiple times during your scuffle with her last time. You also knew Johanne was present at this sponsorship dinner, and you're sure she had already seen you talking with Luca.

It was also difficult to ignore the way Luca was looking at you tonight. His blue eyes were glazed over, cheeks roseate from the alcohol, mind barely lucid. He's tipsy, and over time, he stopped caring about constraining himself. You knew something was up from the way he kept trying to find excuses to touch you – from gentle brushes of your hands when passing glasses to friendly pats on your shoulder.

"If I want to tell you something.. shocking tonight, will you listen to me?" he asked, taking a step closer to you until you're able to catch the masculine scent of his cologne. It smelled fresh, spicy – like bergamot and amber.

"Depends what it's about," you tilted your head. "If it's about workplace gossip in Wall Rose General, maybe I'd listen."

Luca chuckles. "No gossip, unfortunately, but I probably still need to take you somewhere quieter to talk. Otherwise, it would really turn to gossip if people overhear what I have to say."

"Ooh, is it some sort of secret?"

"Yes, it is," Luca breathes.

You let him lead you into the balcony outside, heart restless and mind swimming with thoughts. Is this really what you think is going to be?