Chapter 3: Sleep Disorder

Start from the beginning

Johanne sneers at Mario, "I don't remember including you in the conversation."

"Then I've inserted myself in it! And this conversation is over, go take your snotiness somewhere else, Olbrich." Mario snorts, and pulls you away from Johanne.

When you're far away enough from Johanne, you burst into convulsing laughter.

"What the fuck was that?" you guffawed, stomach hurting from laughing too hard.

"Me rescuing you from that viper," Mario huffs. "You know, she's just trying to find a bone to pick. You don't owe her anything, not even an explanation or your time. Just walk away."

"I did want to walk away, but I can't stand her insults and accusations."

"What was that about anyway, the Luca guy and all?" Mario asked.

You sighed, and told him all about your ex-crush, how Johanne used to like him, and all that. Mario was understanding, offering you words of support. You wondered why he had taken such a liking to you, and what exactly made you so drawn to him as a friend?

For a month, you saw Mario everyday and had grown considerably close to him. You learnt about his likes and dislikes, his quirks and habits, and he learnt yours. You found out that he hated waking up early, is addicted to coffee, hated mushrooms, and loved his job as a surgeon. Mario also makes over-exaggerated faces when eating something he doesn't like, gets cranky when he doesn't get to drink coffee, and is always making some sort of noise.

He's quick to accompany you whenever you're alone, quashing any feelings of homesickness or loneliness that may rise.

Mario is also extremely perceptive to the emotions and behaviours of others, not afraid to lend a hand to any injured Scout on the field or open up to befriend someone. He's a little too jumpy around superiors though, often squirming when Captain Levi is talking to him or shying away in front of Commander Erwin.

He gives off little brother vibes, and there is no chance that you both see each other in a romantic light. Though unspoken, you both know you shared a purely platonic relationship, almost in a sibling-like manner. Mario is simply a blond bundle of sunshine and a breath of fresh air, and you're grateful to at least have one reliable friend in the Survey Corps.

Two months pass quickly, and you're in high spirits, for you were finally able to use the ODM gear smoothly with minimal faults.

You soared through the trees with the Scouts during ODM gear training, drawing surprised glances and looks from the others. You could barely use the ODM in the first three weeks of training, but after hearing Levi's advice to form a mind-and-body connection, you improved quicker since then. He was right, you overthink a lot. Once you listened more to your body and intuition, you were able to gain better control of yourself.

In two months, you've also gained more muscular definition to your figure, and you no longer huffed and puffed like death was coming during physical training. You often enjoyed staring at your reflection in the mirror, flexing your biceps and abdomen to see how much progress you've made. You smile with innocent satisfaction whenever you spot a new bulge of muscle forming. Even your ass looked slightly bigger from all that glute training.

Keith Shadis deemed the Military Doctors ready for training for the basics of Titan-killing, and that is what you're focusing on this month.

Besides your usual training, interesting developments have risen in the Walls. A boy who could transform into a Titan had appeared one day, who apparently was a part of the 104th Training Corps, and he was arranged to be under the care of the Survey Corps. You're not exactly up to date with these developments, as you're too busy with your duties in the medical ward and with training, but you do get information once in a while from Mario or other Scouts.