Chapter 70

After class was over and they went back to their dorms, Yuna found herself sitting with the other girls on some couches in the common room, chatting about the work studies.

"I'm really looking forward to getting into a work study now," Tsuyu said from her spot on the couch adjacent to the one Yuna was sitting on with Hagakure.

"I hope we get the chance. I think they're still figuring out what to do with us first years." Uraraka replied.

"I suppose there's nothing we can do until Mr. Aizawa gives us the go-ahead," Yaoyorozu chimed in.

Yuna let out a long sigh, "I just hope they didn't hype the work studies up just to not let us do them. It'd be really disappointing."

"No kidding. That would be annoying." Jiro agreed, the other girls nodding.

"Do you have anyone you wanna do your work study with?" Hagakure asked the group.

"Aizawa said to use the connections we made during our internships to find an agency to do a work study with," Yaoyorozu stated in a manner of fact tone.

"So are you going to do a work study with Uwabami?" Hagakure questioned.

Yaoyorozu frowned, "I'm not too sure."

"I don't know if I'd wanna do my work study with Gunhead either," Uraraka said. "I went there to learn combat skills, but I don't know if I'd wanna do a work study there, you know?"

Yuna shook her head "If I'm able to do my work study with Amethyst, that's what I'm going to do. I already know her so I don't have to worry about introductions again and we can just skip to working. The only annoying thing is how laid-back Amethyst is. Sometimes I wish she'd do a little more."

"Of course you would criticize someone for not doing enough. You're always doing too much." Jiro replied, crossing her arms. "It's probably a good thing you and Kaminari are dating, otherwise we'd never see you here since you'd always be at some gym."

"Oh! Speaking of you and Kaminari." Mina exclaimed with a giddy smile on her face, not allowing anyone time to steer the topic back to work studies from the new topic of romance. "How are you two doing?"

"How do you think? They're always so smiley whenever they're together," Hagakure answered instead of Yuna, who was refusing to make eye contact with any of the girls.

"And they're always together," Jiro added, rolling her eyes.

Yuna's face flushed, "That's not true."

The other girls shared a glance and Yuna felt her face heat up even more. Then Uraraka spoke, "You guys make me feel so single, it's kind of annoying."

"I'm still a little surprised you decided to date him," Yaoyorozu said, earning a shrug from Yuna. "Although it's pretty clear now you two work well together."

"Not to mention they're always studying together," Tsuyu agreed.

"Yeah, 'studying'," Mina added with finger quotes and a playful grin.

It took Yuna a second to process what she meant, but when she did, Mina giggled at her bright red face, "We do study!"

"Not the whole time," Jiro muttered, although there was no intention to keep her words from being heard.

Yuna could've sworn her head was about to explode, but she had no counter, so she just pulled her legs up and buried her face in her knees, "Shut up."

Mina laughed, "Aw, don't worry Azumi, just make sure you use protection."

Yuna grabbed the small square couch pillow next to her and threw it at Mina with all the force she could muster. It hit the pink-skinned girl square in the face and caused Uraraka to flinch as she was sitting next to Mina. Yuna crossed her arms and huffed, "Quit being ridiculous. Besides, what me and Denki do is none of your business."

"Huh? I heard my name. What are you guys talking about?" Yuna let out a long sigh in an attempt to mask her embarrassment as Kaminari leaned on the back of the couch above her.

"Nothing," Yuna quickly said when she saw the mischievous smile on Mina's face. Yuna glared intently at Mina, "We weren't talking about anything."

"Uh, ok," Kaminari replied with an unsure voice. Then he handed her a bottle of pink lemonade and hugged her from behind the couch. "I'm heading to bed."

Yuna's face was a little flushed, but she turned so she could kiss him before saying, "Goodnight."

The two smiled at each other for a moment before Kaminari turned and walked to the elevators. Yuna lightly shook her head and cracked open the bottle of lemonade. All the girls were staring at her as she took a small sip before asking, "What?"

"I agree with Uraraka, you two make me feel so single," Hagakure huffed, crossing her invisible arms.

Yuna just rolled her eyes and somehow, she managed to steer the topic back to work studies before she was the second of the girls to turn in for the night.

* * *

"I guess the League is meeting with that guy tonight," Miori mumbled as she sat on her bed mindlessly scrolling through news posts. She let out a long sigh as she set her phone on her nightstand and got up from her bed.

I wish they picked a different time to do all of this, it seemed fun. Miori thought as she wandered from her bedroom into the small apartment's kitchen. Renting the place had been a huge inconvenience after her identity was discovered by the police, but she was able to work her way around those obstacles and had been staying in the one-bedroom apartment for the last month. She felt a bit bad for the sweet old landlady she had conned into giving her the apartment for a few months as she had no intention of paying her. Although, when she thought about it, she actually didn't feel bad. It's not like that lady deserved her money anyway, she should've been smarter and saw through Miori's lies if she wanted the one month's rent she owed.

But by the time the landlady realizes she's been deceived, Miori would be in the countryside. Her parents' anniversary was just a few weeks away. She couldn't wait to return to the town that had been the setting of her living nightmare.

Miori chuckled to herself as she opened one of the kitchen cabinets and grabbed a snack. Her only regret was that Yuna wouldn't be there with her. She had been so sure her niece would feel the same way as her. No, she knew Yuna felt the same way as her. But it seemed she chose to just ignore that and chase after a dream Yuna's mother must've planted in her.

But it didn't matter. Miori would free her niece from her sister as soon as she rid herself of her parents. Then Yuna would finally realize how much she was being held back. How she was being looked down upon. How she was trapped. Miori would free Yuna the second she finally freed herself.

"It's been so long since I've gotten a gift for my parents' anniversary." She mumbled to herself with a crazed smile. "I hope they enjoy my gift this year."