Chapter 11

Rowena held the tea cup sipped on her tea as she looked at the beautiful girl in front of her with a smile.

Annora was wearing a dark blue silk dress with golden embroidery on it. The Dark colour highlighted her features even more.

She probably didn't have any makeup on her face and looked as fresh as a flower. She had clear eyes and rosy lips. Even if she just sat there without doing anything, there seemed to be an air of dignity around her.

She looked so enchanting that one could not take their eyes off her.

It looked quite contrasting with the heavy powder on her own face. Rowena sneered inwardly looking at the girl who looked more beautiful than the last time she saw her.

The more Rowena looked at her, the more she couldn't control her anger and jealousy. She hated Annora very much but she hated this face of her's more than her very existence.

It reminded her of the person she despised the most. Every time she saw Annora, she would remember the shame and humiliation she has to suffer when she was young.

All of this happened because of only one person.....Marianne Villiers.

Though both of them, Marianne and Rowena, were talented noble ladies and the best candidates to be the future Queen....but the late King chose Marianne to be King Derek's wife.

And she was the one who was casted aside. She became a laughing stock in the whole capital.

Thinking of the past, Rowena felt the anger and hatred that she had buried deep down was emerging again.

Even though she had sought her revenge, she still couldn't let go of her hatred. Thus she could only direct all her ill feelings towards Annora, the daughter of the woman who was the cause of all her sufferings.

Rowena tried her very best to hide her disdain for Annora but failed as her true thoughts couldn't be hidden from Annora who had keen eyes.

They stared at each other for a while. Both of them hiding their thoughts and maintaining a amiable face in front of the other.

How difficult it is to face your biggest enemy with a smile.... but both of them were women....where one ruled the palace with her twisted and cruel tactics....the other had survived the brutality and harshness of the world alone.

While Annora was thinking about Rowena's true purpose of inviting her, Queen Rowena was also trying to guess Annora's thoughts. But unfortunately, she could not see through her.

Annora was the first to break the silence as and said, "Queen...thanks for inviting me for the evening tea. I hope I have not wasted your valuable time."

Annora's voice brought Rowena back from her thoughts. "Why do you say so?...this is what I should do."

Rowena smiled as she said "I should have invited you long ago but you just came back and needed rest. I thought I should be considerate and also, you might need some time to adjust to the royal life....after all, you just came back from the a village."

With some pity in her eyes, she took Annora's hand and said,"Though you are a Princess, it has been more than 10 years since you had left the palace and lived as a commoner. Your rough speech and etiquette needs polishing again. As your mother I should make sure that you are presentable."

Annora merely smiled but did not say anything. She laughed inwardly at her stepmother's fake concern. She could hardly believe any of her words but there was something she could not understand. What exactly did Rowena want to do by mentioning these things.

Moreover things like royal etiquette and manners and speech...this was something that all the royals had learnt since their birth.

After Annora turned four, she could recognise words and write. Her mother,Queen Marianne had especially asked Miss Amelia, a retired royal tutor to teach her etiquette.