Chapter 7

The guard took Ivan out of the bakery and walked towards the end of the alley.

The house looked very simple from outside but it was quite different when he went in. It was carefully decorated and had a very exquisite taste in it.

Walking further towards the inner room, Ivan saw a lady sitting by the table.

Ivan could not understand why he was brought here or why did this lady want to meet him.

Just when he was thinking about this and wanted to greet her, he heard a very calm and pleasant voice.

"Ivan Rusty...I hope you are living a good life working in the Marquess mansion!"

Hearing the name 'Ivan Rusty' from Annora's mouth shocked Ivan to the core and he stumbled back in fear.

He could not understand... how this lady in front of him knew his real name?

He was sure that he had never met her as he had been hiding very well all these years and no one knew who he was. For the world he was just an orphan.

He tried to control his expression but failed to do so as he said "La...lady, I do not un...understand what you are speaking of...which Ivan Rusty are you looking for? I suppose you have got the wrong person."

Annora looked at Ivan who was shocked beyond words that he stuttered in fear. The corner of her lips turned upwards and a sarcastic smile appeared in her eyes under the lace hat which covered half of her face.

She lifted the tea cup and took a sip of tea...and then continued to eat the delicate desserts placed on the table.

Every action of hers appeared seemingly beautiful and pleasant with a hint of nobility and confidence.

Annora looked at him and said lightly "You know very well whether I am mistaken or not."

Ivan sized up the lady in front of him. She wore a black dress with a lace hat covering half of her face but but that was not enough to conceal the strong aura around her.

She looked very young but her demeanor was no less than of a young lady from a noble family. Moreover she looked like she had gone through many ups and downs in life to make her this calm.

Ivan hesitated to speak when he saw Annora looking straight at him but then spoke while stammering "Lady, wh...what is the purpose of bringing me here? May I know the Lady's name?"

"It doesn't matter who I am Ivan. I just want to know where your father Gillian Rusty is right now and how is he?" said Annora. Her voice was steady and calm and was confident in her words.

This time he could not feign ignorance and he understood that this lady really knew who he was...and moreover she knew of his father...who was dead for the world.

Annora did not want to waste much time on this nor did she want to explain how she knew him as he would understand later.

"Ivan...your father Gillian Rusty was the personal knight of the Late Queen Marianne...is it not?"

Fear filled his heart and his leg started shivering as he fell to the ground with a thud.

The late Queen Marianne and her maternal family were sentenced to death 10 years ago. Even the maids and guards...every single person who served the queen was killed for colluding with the Queen.

How could anyone even forget that dreadful incident which shocked the whole Kingdom. Even more for Ivan...he could never forget the day that changed his whole life.

He was the son of a honorable knight who served the Queen and had dreamt of becoming a brave knight like his father one day.

But all those dreams and ambitions crumbled into pieces and his family had to fight for their life. Their life was a gift from the late Queen who helped his father to escape from death.