Chapter 9

Raewyn Army Camp, Corholt City.

...............

After the great victory of Corholt city, the soldiers were still in high spirits and were preparing to march further towards the Tarrin region .

Inside the main camp, Adrian sat in front of the desk, handling the documents. while Osvyn was standing near him, reporting the military affairs.

Osvyn took out a letter from his pocket and handed it to Adrian, " Commander, there's a message for you from the capital."

Adrian thought for a while and then asked," Who is it from?"

" It was the messenger bird of Prince Ansel." replied Osvyn.

Adrian paused for a moment and then opened the letter. There was no expression on his face as he read the message.

Osvyn waited for a while but seeing that Adrian did not speak again. He noticed that Adrian was deep in thought and did not disturb him.

Though he was quiet curious about the content of the message, he did not open the letter when he received it earlier.

After reading the message, Adrian threw the paper in his hand into the fire brazier on the side and said, " Prepare to return to the capital."

Osvyn was shocked upon hearing this and said, "How can we go back to the capital now? We still have to capture the northern Tarrin region. Why should we retreat all of a sudden?"

Adrian seemed calm about this as if he had anticipated it. " It's the Emperor's order. We will not attack the northern Tarrin for now and return to Braedon. Station a troupe of our best soldiers here and the rest will return to the capital."

Osvyn was still unconvinced and said, " If we return to the capital now, Emerade might send there soldiers to recapture the Corholt city which we have finally managed to win after more than a decade. How can we retreat now...how can you even agree to it?"

" Osvyn, do as I said. The emperor has already ordered Earl Favian to march towards Corholt city with his group of elite soldiers." Adrian thought for a while and then said, "Except for our soldiers who will stay here, the elite soldiers led by Earl Favian can guard the city well. You don't have to worry about that."

Hearing this, Osvyn was slightly relieved and just as he was about to say something, he heard Adrian speak again, "And you, along with the group of our best knights will accompany me to Amberdale."

"Amberdale?...the capital of Emerade....what are we going there for?" Osvyn could not understand what Adrian was thinking and was confused by whatever was going on.

Adrian did not answer his question directly and instead said, "The peace negotiations between Albelone and Emerade was successful. The Grand Duke of Emerade will soon return to Amberadale with his bride."

Osvyn was even more confused now and said, "What has this got to do with us going there? Whether the Grand Duke returns with a bride or a chicken, it's none of our business."

Adrian looked at Osvyn and asked him, "Then do you know who his bride is?"

"Who is so unlucky to marry that old pervert?" asked Osvyn with interest.

The corners of his lips were slightly hooked and he said, "It's the Princess of Albelone. The daughter of the deposed Queen, who was executed ten years ago."

Osvyn was surprised hearing this and said, "A marriage alliance....it seems like the Princess is not so favoured. To marry that old Duke, how old is she? How could the King of Albelone bear to marry off his daughter to such a cruel man."