2. Psychopath

I held my breath as I watched the person for a moment. I'd say it's a male from their figure and body posture. He was wearing all black, probably to blend in with the night. His hair and face were hidden underneath a skimask, making it unable for me to see more. He even wore a pair of black gloves.

Who was that? What was he after? How did he even get in here? My eyes focused on the door. It was closed. I squinted my eyes slightly, trying to see if it looked broken but everything seemed fine. He must have picked the lock. Or did I forget to close the door?

I frowned slightly, shaking my head to myself. That never happened, especially because of the cats. It probably wasn't his first time doing something like this I guess.

I gulped slightly, nervous. What was he going to do if he found me? Maybe I should still try hiding somewhere. It's not like I had anything worth stealing. Maybe he will realize that soon and leave. Or he will search more for something valuable and find me in the process.

I let out a silent, shaky breath. I should do something, now. I have to act quickly before something goes wrong. My grip around the bottle tightened while I kept my eyes focused on the man. He was still crouching in front of the side table next to the couch, searching every drawer. It didn't look like he was taking anything, he was just searching. But what was he searching for?

I pressed my lips together, holding my breath as I tiptoed towards him. I could probably knock him out if I use enough force. At least if he won't notice me first. Don't get nervous. Just hit that stranger with a bottle. I could print that on a t-shirt.

I held up the bottle higher over my shoulder, ready to strike while I closed the gap between us. Musk. At least he smelled good. I felt my heartbeat increase the closer I got to the stranger. Millions of thoughts were running through my head. What if that won't work?

Not the time to overthink! I pulled my arm back, trying to get more speed into the hit. My eyes widened in panic as the man closed the drawer, suddenly standing up. Fuck! I froze as he won more in height, standing now right in front of me. He was tall. He was just about to turn around before I quickly hit the bottle against his head, panicked.

The man stumbled slightly to the side before he fell down with a loud thud. I grimaced slightly as I looked at him. That probably hurt. I glanced at the bottle, surprised that it was still intact. Was that really hard? Should it not have shattered?

I bit my lip nervously as I glanced down at the stranger on my floor. He wasn't moving. How hard exactly was the glass? I frowned, carefully taking a step back from the man. He was lying on his stomach with one arm underneath him while the other was sprawled out on the floor. His head was turned to the side, his back facing me.

I stared at him for a while, waiting for something to happen. He didn't move. Why didn't he move? Did I really make him unconscious? My eyes widened slightly. Oh god! Did I kill him? My heartbeat was pounding loudly in my ears, making it unable for me to think clearly.

What if I actually did kill him? I glanced back at the bottle in my hand, shaking. Maybe I hit something to cause internal bleeding. Oh god I am going to jail. I gulped as I looked back down at him. What do I do? Should I check his pulse? What if he is just pretending? But what if he is really dead? Oh god!

Hesitantly I took a step forward again, my gaze locked on the back of his head. I mean it was self defense so maybe I won't go to jail? Did this even count as self defense? He didn't seem to be aware that I was here. Well, but he did break into my apartment so probably the law was on my side.

But it's not like I want that strangers blood on my hands. I gulped, letting out another shaky breath before softly kicked him against his shoulder. I frowned as he didn't react to that and kicked him again, a little harder. He still stayed motionless.