27 :: Spicy Tuna

Waiting outside the gate, Yuki jumped at the end of the leash as we waited for Lloyd to arrive. It had been over an hour since the announcement went out... and I still couldn't believe it. As soon as Lloyd pulled up in that fancy green car, I didn't give him a chance to get out as I opened the passenger door and hopped in with Yuki jumping onto the floorboard.

"WHY DID YOU MAKE THAT NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT? Customers were freaked out and everyone is talking about it!"

Lloyd shrugged as he reached over and patted Yuki's head. "Just a bit of precaution... anyway, Mom is going to take Yuki for the afternoon, we'll pick him up again after dinner. Got a nice spot to go star gazing and to chill, sound fun?"

Staring at him in disbelief as I turned to properly sit in the passenger seat... why was he so chill. He pulled the squirming 6-month-old puppy into his lap and cuddled him as I managed to get a response.

"... uh, well yeah, that sounds great...but..."

"But?"

"Was the news announcement really necessary?" Trying to make heads or tails out of his reasoning, watching as he ordered Yuki to the back seat.

"Yes."

The amount of confidence in his tone made it the end of the story...who knows, maybe he was right?

"Hey, don't overthink it, Sugar." he reassured me as he motioned me to shut the door. "Why don't you pick the music?"

Letting out a deep breath, I shut the door and took his phone to pick something to listen to. Settling on a hip hop mix that his Spotify mix had made as he began to pull back onto the road.

I still felt a bit uneasy, though my feelings melted away after a song that Lloyd and I both knew came on. Between Lloyd, Yuki, and I, the car was loud and joyful as we made our way to the museum.

Mrs. Garmadon was quick to take Yuki from the back seat, the young dog was ecstatic to see her. "Easy there, Yuki." She cooed to the dog before kneeling down to look inside the car. "Have fun, Yuki will be fine hanging out with me for today." a big smile on her face as she took a step back and ushered us to get going.

Something about this date felt a little different from the previous attempts... almost as if it would work. Looking at Lloyd with a hopeful smile.

"Where to first?"

"I was thinking we go to the mall, grab some lunch, and I think you mentioned wanting to see about finding Dai a birthday present?"

"Oh, yeah, I did say that." Half remembering telling him that over a phone call while he was on patrol, and I was doing homework a few days ago... "Sounds like a plan."

Lloyd smiled, as if happy I agreed with him. On the way to the mall, we talked about what we had been doing over the past few days. His days consisted of protecting the city, while mine were filled with homework and school, as well as a little work on the side.

It always amazed me the series differences in our lives, though he still tried his best to make time for me, and I did the same for him. Though there was that little feeling inside that said that what I did didn't nearly amount to what he did.

I had barely noticed that we had parked until I felt his hand gently shake my shoulder. Looking up at him to see a soft smile and a slightly concerned look in his eyes as he stood in my door, he had already gotten out and opened the door...

"You good?"

"Of course, just lost in thought."

He hummed, offering his hand. Taking it as I grabbed my bag and got out of the car. Instead of letting my hand go, he leaned down, planting a little kiss on the back of it as he smiled down at me. The look in his eyes made my heart skip a beat... were his eyes always that green?