58: A Dance Of Affection

Start from the beginning

"So all the times we've had misunderstandings, I'm always the one to blame? Is that what you're saying?"

"Ninety percent of the time, Afrah," Jameel replied.

Afrah rolled her eyes. "In your heart, you know that's not true. You're the one who always has to have the last say."

"You're the one who can never admit when you're wrong."

"This must be a joke. You're the one who's always trying to prove a point, even when you know you are wrong, and you know it, Jameel."

"You're the one who is always so quick to push me away."

"You're the one who always frustrates me."

"You're the one who always blames me for every single thing that goes wrong in this house."

"You're the one who—"

"You're the one who I can't get off my mind, despite the headache you give me."

At his last sentence, Afrah couldn't stop herself from blushing. Jameel truly did have his way with words. He was able to turn the argument into a playful one before it could degenerate into a fight. Afrah realized it was not even an argument, it was a dance of affection, a way to express their frustrations without causing any real harm.

Jameel continued; "You're the one who's refused to release me from the shackles of your love."

Afrah chuckled. "You're something else, Jameel. I can't with you."

"And you're to blame for it." Jameel laughed, drawing her into his embrace.

In their embrace, time seemed to stand still. Their bodies molded together, fitting like puzzle pieces as if they were made for each other. Afrah's lips curved into a smile for she knew that whatever the case might be, their love would always triumph over any argument.

"I pray Fawaaz doesn't wake up in the middle of the night today." Afrah sighed, pulling away from Jameel.

"Hopefully."

"It's getting late already, you should go."

"Go where?"

"Where," Afrah narrowed her eyes at him. "you're supposed to be."

"I don't need to be reminded."

"Oh, you do. It seemed you had forgotten."

"I didn't."

"Good night then."

"You were the one that complained to me about not spending enough time with you and Fawaaz," Jameel rose to his feet. "now that I'm here, it seems you don't want me around."

"That's not it, Jameel. Of course, I want you here, but not when you're supposed to be somewhere else. You have other responsibilities." The way Afrah had accepted that Jameel was not hers alone surprised her immensely. She no longer cared the way she used to.

"I know."

"Okay."

"Hmm..."

"What is it, Jameel?"

"You've changed...a lot."

"For the better? I know. It's a good thing, isn't it?"

"I'm talking about an entirely different thing, but it's fine. Sleep well."

As Afrah watched him walk out of the room, she wondered what he was talking about.

She shrugged when she couldn't find an answer to her question.